Newbie putting joists in before loft boarding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This probably a stupid question, but when laying a second set of perpendicular 3x1 joists, do I lay them 3Hx1W or 1Hx3W?

And which is the best sort of timber to use?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Should be 3 high but kinda depends what you are trying to achieve.. putting more insulation in between the cross battens? or loft conversion? or boarding for storage?

The reason for boarding the loft is additional storage... It is a victorian mid terrace, and I assumed that the extra joists would make the floor sturdier.

I guess adding extra insulation wouldn't hurt.

Cross battening wont make the ceiling joists stronger, might help with deflection is about all..

If your not insulating your better off just boarding straight onto the existing

Sponsored Links
cross-battening will allow you to put in an extra layer of insulation under the flooring, without it getting squashed, so is a good idea.

If screwed down, they will increase the rigidity of the flooring and help spread your weight when you are moving about, so this will reduce risk of sagging and cracking.

however the total load bearing capacity will not be increased as the new battens are not standing on walls.

lofts are generally designed to be strong enough to hold the ceiling up, not much more, so no heavy items unless you place them above a load-bearing wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back