Newbie question - Towel Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We need to decorate behind our new Towel Rad. and i don't know how to remove it. :oops:

It has 2 nuts on either side of the Rad where the water flows in & out, and turning knobs on both sides for water flow.

Do I close both knobs to shut the water in before removing? Which nuts do I adjust and how much water should come out? (Its a small Rad)

Do i open the Bleeder or leave it shut?

Oh dear.!

Sponsored Links
Do I close both knobs to shut the water in before removing? Which nuts do I adjust and how much water should come out? (Its a small Rad)

Do i open the Bleeder or leave it shut?

in order

1 yes

2 count the turns when you close them

3 (its a small rad) a small amount put a tray under after you turn off and drain it

4 shut when draining (runs slower) open when putting back to vent air

if you have a sealed system you will need to check/top up the boiler afterwards ;)

Thank you... but how do I know if its sealed ? (and what do you mean by sealed ! )?

Also: What do I do with all 4 nuts ? (Do I unscrew each pair above the Knobs nearest the Rad and leave the pair below the Knobs untouched...or vice-versa?)

Sponsored Links
Thanks... (how do I top up the pressure ?)

Also: What do I do with all 4 nuts ? (Do I unscrew each pair above the Knobs nearest the Rad and leave the pair below the Knobs untouched...or vice-versa?)

Concussed said:
Thanks... (how do I top up the pressure ?)

To 'Top up' you'll need to identify the 'Filling Loop' which (I think) is internal on this one so you'll need a 'Filling Key'. The Engineer who installed your boiler should have, 1. Provided you with the key and 2. Demonstrated how to use the key to re-pressurise (Top Up) the boiler. Its a plastic thing about the length of your hand. Its a sort of 'T' shape.

If the 'Filling Loop' is external then it will be a case of reconnecting the loop (if the engineer has disconnected it), and then use the small 'Tap Valve' on the loop to open the mains water supply to the boiler and top up to about 1.5 on the pressure gauge.

So to re-cap,

1) Close both Knobs (counting the turns)
2) Keep bleeder shut whilst loosening one of the Upper nuts to drain Rad.
3) Unscrew Rad off wall
4) Decorate !
5) Reverse above and top-up water pressure. :?:

Thanks for all advice !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back