Newbie to plumbing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am going to replace an old porcelain sink with a knee operated stainless steel sink in my takeaway. It looks fairly straightforward but the difference between a botch job and a good job is attention to detail so I have a couple of newbie questions.

The sink came with flexi hoses and fibre washers, does it matter which way round the washer goes as there is a green side and a black side
IMG_5152_zps0wupz7sa.jpg

IMG_5153_zpsgx0oqlcl.jpg

As well as the washers above it also came with fibre washers that are green on both sides
IMG_5156_zpswx9xxfyk.jpg

IMG_5157_zpsomjfaamj.jpg

Lastly I have no idea what this is or where it goes so if you know please let me know.
IMG_5158_zpstrbxjqqh.jpg

Thanks for the help guys

Sponsored Links
They look as if they're used? I'd replace them with new ones just to be sure. Doesn't matter what way up they are.

The blue washer looks like a valve flow restrictor for the mixer valve but can't be 100% sure.

Are all the green fibre washers the same? The sink came with a mixer valve which is in two pieces as there are no taps on the sink, the pictures below give an idea of scale, the blue washer doesn't seem to fit anywhere properly.
IMG_5160_zpswvs45rkn.jpg

IMG_5161_zpshwboquys.jpg

IMG_5162_zpsiux4a1lp.jpg

IMG_5163_zpsz4qlhxg4.jpg

Are these the correct fittings to go from plastic pipes to flexi hoses? and do you use the olive with these fittings to the flexi hose? The olives I have are brass I have read somewhere that copper olives should be used with plastiv pipe work.

Sponsored Links
Yes, the green fibre washers are in place of rubber ones. If the blue washer doesn't fit anywhere then it's probably not for that setup.

Flexi hoses need to connect onto one of these if they are open ended nuts with washers in them -

5583g

Connect an iso valve onto the hot and cold inlet pipes, then a small piece of pipe runs from them into the male iron pictured above then the flexi's tighten onto them. Yes copper olives are preferred but careful not to overtighten if onto plastic, you need to use standard inserts for the plastic pipe too at the compression fittings. Also clip the plastic at each fitting to keep secure.

Your image isn't showing can you re post it please.

There is already an isolation valve on the hot and cold pipe the plastic pipes lead off from them.

The flexi hose has a male end so I don't think that fitting will work for me?
IMG_5164_zpsrv4afcsc.jpg

Do I just need to put a plastic insert in the pipe get a copper olive and tighten it up or do I need a fitting?

Ah right, ok, they will go onto the piece of plastic after the ISO valve, you just need to use standard plastic inserts and as a newbie DIYer, copper olives. Please clip the pipe to support the plastic before adding the flexi's

On another note, I can't see these images in Opera but if I use Internet Explorer the images show fine, how's that I wonder!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back