Newbie with an oil fired boiler!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, hoping you can help
Have moved into an old farm house with an apparently 32 year old oil boiler..!

It's "ideal buccaneer" but can't seem to see a specific model
From the pic attached, can anyone help me workout a few things please
1) is anything here the actual hot water tank and if so, is it tiny!?
2) the thermostat on the boiler itself, what is that setting, is it the heating and hot water temps? I don't seem to have any other thermostat anywhere in the house
3) I have the hot water set to "always" and the heating timed to come on twice. When the heating comes on, is this taking some of the hot water for baths etc away?
4) I also have an immersion switch (which when put on puts the smart meter up 40p per hour!) Why would I need this if the boiler does the hot water? Having said that, very often the water out the tap isn't hot enough, despite the hot water setting on the honeywell thing (that I assume is driven by the boiler) being set to always on

I've set thr boiler thermostat to 90 now and the water is roasting but it's only one off the max of 100 and that seems excessive?
Thank ypu very much in anticipation!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Ah it's been removed I think?!
I'll try again!

Attachments

• 20211107_161523.jpg
    20211107_161523.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 85
Ideally need to know other aspects of the system, but from experience, looking at your picture, would expect to find gravity hot water with pumped heating. Do you have a room thermostat? What timer do you have? If it is gravity hot water, then the only control of its temperature is the boiler control thermostat.

Sponsored Links
Ideally need to know other aspects of the system, but from experience, looking at your picture, would expect to find gravity hot water with pumped heating. Do you have a room thermostat? What timer do you have? If it is gravity hot water, then the only control of its temperature is the boiler control thermostat.
Hi no room thermostat no!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back