Newel Post removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I hope you can help with my wife's latest wish (or rather "want" ;) )

She loves the Richard Burbridge Fusion add on and wants to remodel our staircase which is poor quality - bad staining, paint under stain - bad cuts (NHBC - it's a staircase and it works :mad: bunch of useless wxxxxxs)

From looking at the instructions and videos on YouTube, we have found our newel posts are not high enough (they are also painted on top of stain - another of the wife's ideas and I don't fancy rubbing it all down) so I am looking at replacing them.

The bottom newels I feel OK with - it is the one at the top of the stairs. ie - how do I remove it.

From doing the bathroom I know the Joists run across (perpendicular) so I gather (hope!) the staircase is attached to the joist and not relying on the newel. The newel also projects down into the kitchen for about 3 inches.

How easy will this be to remove and replace with another newel post. Will it be major work to do - there is a 180 degree return landing at the top.

Any advice will be greatly received!!!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Well, after a google I think I found the answer from AWBCM - it is a no :oops:

so my next problem - what to do? They are sectional newel posts as well so are already hollowed out as I thought about making the Fusion Newel there a bit longer and trimming the bolt to length taking account of the differences in length when fitting.

So, my next though is to cut the newel flush to the floor and fit a http://www.richardburbidge.com/stair-balustrade/contemporary/fusion/ Cut-String Mid Newel Base 320mm (bottom of parts list) - will this work? Will it be strong enough? I am prepared to remove part of the chipboard to strengthen underneath with extra wood and noggins to screw (bolt) onto

again any help and advice appreciated

Cheers

ok normal practice drill a hole in the newal base [assuming 300mmish left]

cut base stump to length insert dowel and insert new sections to correct height

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the response big-all.

What I am on about is that the newel that is in is sectional with the bottom being 90mm, then a turned middle section, then the ball on the top.

From the fusion instructions, even if I remove just from the turned section up, there is not enough left from the line of the string up - from the top of my head - project the angle to the mid point of the newel, then measure up 175mm for the bottom or 125 for the top of the stairs. Our newel posts are well short of this. There is also the hole that is left from removing the turned section from the base.

I think the bottom newel will be OK to get out although it is part of a large bullnose (plus a newel on the other side) giving a 90 degree turn on the bottom step, and I understand that these will need routing/chiseling to get it to fit right.

It is what to do with the top newel that is way too short.... This is what is stumping me.

We are looking to get somebody in to do this - but are having difficulty finding somebody with the experience and I want to be forearmed to make sure the person we get gives the right answers.

Cheers

L

your newel will probably be tying the string and tread together

have you got a picture !!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back