Newel problem / structural support

It just needs a ceiling joists in the downstairs toilet doubling up and positioning under the Newell post. Take the load to the other Newell and to the adjacent wall.

Or a steel connection to the stud wall or the other Newell.

Compared with what my engineer has designed for me, the two Newell setup us already vastly over engineered. I'd be confident that a normal stud earrings would take the load through that Newell anyway.

Sponsored Links
Here are a couple more pics this evening. Contempating running a joist from the blockwork wall to the left newel to support the right newel.

But do have some concerns that Building Control will have an issue with it.

[Trying not to get left with a WC that is too narrow. Confused. Disappointed. Not sure what to do...]

IMG_2785.JPG IMG_2786.JPG IMG_2787.JPG IMG_2788.JPG

In view of the fact that you need to build the wall in any case, I'd just have Acrow-propped the staircase up, cut the excess newel post off, built the wall, fixed the bottom of the shortened newel to the top of the frame and then removed the Acrow. This, I think would be easier and safer to do, and relatively fast if you can do basic framing.
How would you join these? Bolt through the side of the newel into the side of the stud wall?

Here are a couple more pics this evening. Contempating running a joist from the blockwork wall to the left newel to support the right newel.
That will transfer all the load from both newels into one newel which may or may not be acceptable. I don't know. How will you support the end in the masonry wall? How will you fix at the other end where it will need to carry the extra weight (needs to be more substantial than screws through the newel into the beam). What size were you considering?

[Trying not to get left with a WC that is too narrow. Confused. Disappointed. Not sure what to do...]
I really don't understand what your problem is with building a structural stud wall - that will give you the width you need, even if your wall is 3 x 2 CLS, but I would caution against going to 2 x 2 CLS

How would you join these? Bolt through the side of the newel into the side of the stud wall?
If you are going onto the top of a structural stud wall that won't move and the load will be exerted vertically, so all you need to have is a couple of big screws (5.0 or 6.0 x 120mm) from the underside of the binder into the bottom of the newel. Because the binder is fixed solidly to the the header plate that should be all that's needed

Sponsored Links
Thanks for you thoughts. I would probabaly have to fix to masonary wall by either (a) taking out a brick and resting on/in the wall, (b) attaching to a stringer.

No problem with a structural wall; it is the location that concerns me. If the structural wall is under the newel post then I might as well leave the newel post where it is. I am trying to create some extra width to the right.

i.e. I need to remove most of the lower part of the newel and support it from somewhere other than underneath / to the right.

Hence why I have proposed bolting to the structural stud wall; and bolting to a trimmer (which could be attached to a post rather than the other newel).

If the structural wall is under the newel post then I might as well leave the newel post where it is. I am trying to create some extra width to the right
If the binder beneath the newel post is wider than the header it will be possible to offset the wall structure to the left by up to about 100mm, I'd say. The only proviso is that you firmly fix the structure together, hence my suggestion of coach bolts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back