Newlec heater - How to reset?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and I am hoping someone will be able to tell me how to reset my Newlec NLSH18AN storage heater as customer services have not been at all helpful.

The instructions say you should find the 2mm metal tongue and then depress it whereupon it sometimes makes an audible click. I did this but the heater still doesn't come on. The metal tongue is at a 45 degree angle and remains so when I push it down.

Has anyone else reset one of these and can tell me what needs to be done please?

Thanks

Dave

Sponsored Links
Hi Zebedee1066, and welcome to the forum

The device you refer to is a safety trip, designed to prevent the heater overheating. It normally trips because the heater has been covered by washing, towels, furniture etc., or if the thermostat has failed and not switched off once the thermal store is hot.

If it keeps tripping, and the heater is not covered with anything, then there is either a fault, or insufficient airflow around the heater. If the reset button doesn't 'click' it hasn't tripped and something else has probably failed internally, or for some reason it's not getting an 'off peak' charge. Do you have other storage heaters? are they working? Have you checked fuses / MCB's?

Thank you very much for the reply. Sorry I'm so slow in following it up, I have had technical problems with the computer as well. I have 2 other storage heaters and have had no problems with them. Is the "metal tongue" supposed to go flat when it is pushed down? Or does it stay at 45 degrees? The only other thing worth mentioning is that when the heater comes on at 12.30 am, if I switch it on at the wall the light above the switch sort of goes on and off. Then I leave it but when I check it the next day it's not really hot so it has obviously switched itself off in the meantime.

Is the "metal tongue" supposed to go flat when it is pushed down? Or does it stay at 45 degrees?
Sorry I can't remember. All storage heaters have overheat trips in various forms, but I can't be certain how yours is, I just used to listen for the click. If you have a look at the other heaters you have, that are working you should be able to see for yourself.

If it doesn't click it probably hasn't tripped, but it's easy for someone who is competent with a multimeter to check.

the light above the switch sort of goes on and off
If you are referring to the red neon indicator in the isolator switch, they do that sometimes as they get old. Like this. It wouldn't effect the heater.

Sponsored Links
Hello,

Thanks for that

The neon indicator doesn't flicker like the one on your link. When it's between 12.30 am and 7.30 am ( economy 7 times) when I press the switch the neon only comes on after trying it a couple of times, then I leave it but it has switched off during the night. I am beginning to think the problem is not with the reset button but with the switch at the side. Think I will need to get an electrician in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back