NEWLEY SKIMMED WALLS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently had a room skimmed, and will mistcoat with Supermatt when it is dry. Although the plasterer has done a nice job, there are slight blemishes here and there which I will fill with easyfill probably. Can anyone tell me if I should mistcoat first, then fill, or fill then mistcoat? Will it be ok to very lightly sand too? Also, while I'm on the subject, someone told me that a pva and vinyl matt mix would be just as good for my primer. Is this true, or should I just stick with the normal watered down supermatt to be sure of a good primed surface? I think of myself as pretty competent in most things diy, but just want to be sure that's all as I want to do things the right way for the best results. Any advise will be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi Grifter.
If you can see any obvious blemish's then it wont hurt to fill in before misting
If you find more marks after misting its no problem to fill then touch in and lightly sand / denib before final coat.
It's not good to sand bare plaster apart from (as you say ) fine sanding of any nibs. but we generally lightly push a broad scraper over bare plaster to get any nibs or flecks of plaster off.
I never use p.v.a in emulsion on bare plaster. Can't see the point. I've coated miles of bare plaster in blocks of flats/ housing estates with just one mist and one slightly rounder coat (thicker).

Good luck.

Me personally would always mist then fill. New plaster is so porous it will suck the moisture out of the filler and could just drop off.

Sponsored Links
Interesting points there. Maybe filling after mistcoating would be the better option. Nothing lost doing it that way and just to be on the safe side.

I.ve done it wrong for last 35 yrs :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :rolleyes:

Please don't think I'm saying you're wrong because I'm not you've been in the trade waaaay longer than me! It's just the way I do things. I noticed when I have filled bare wood that the adhesion of the filler is not as good than if you prime first and the same with plaster ;)

No probs m8... ;)
on bare plaster polyfilla type filler's will fill a hole/ blemish without wetting or sealing. Thats why it took over from the likes of Keenes cement which was/is a traditional filler but needed to be applied to a wetted/ sealed surfaces and took ages to dry.
Though I cant get out of the habit of just damping down a hole in bare plaster before i fill with poly/ easifill.

The reason why I like to check a bare plaster job and fill any OBVIOUS blemishes before misting, is because once filled the mist coat will prime the filler/s and the next coat (slightly thicker) will finish the job (in a day ) But misting then filling then priming the filling then final coating will take a bit longer ;)
This might not make sense , I have'nt been to work today (2 day week ) and i've had a couple or so...

Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back