Newly decorated paint peeling from wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
help!

We're trying to paint the first room in a new (but 20 year old) house at the moment. Thankfully we've started upstairs and out of the way, given that we're having a bit of trouble.

We've stripped the wallpaper off in one room, leaving the original magnolia and several pock marks down to bare plaster. The walls have been washed with sugar soap and rinsed twice to get any paste remnants off. We've primed the walls with polycell problem wall primer, filled the pockmarks with red devil filler and put a coat of polycell 3-1 base coat on. All was going well until we got towards the last wall in the room - as we were finishing the wall we realised that a large blister like area had lifted off (in the wet paint done earlier that evening). It's planed off right down to the plaster - came off easily in an area about 1m x0.5m. The only bits that have adhered are bits I've filled.

We've left a gap of about a week between washing and priming, and we've never put more than one coat on in a day.

So any ideas on what has gone wrong and where we go from here would be gratefully received! I presume the plaster wasn't well sealed in the first place. I was wondering about sanding the area to create a bit more adhesion, sanding down the edges of this crater that we've now got and patching up with the same products again.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Your diagnosis of the problem may be correct but there are a number of possible causes for paint peeling off walls. Hard to diagnose without seeing it.

Sand down to bare plaster, give it two coats of Zinsser Gardz and continue with paint/paper.

It sounds like there was no mist coat when originally painted. That's pretty normal for a new build.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back