Peeling paint on newly plastered wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently (3 months ago) had the whole flat plaster skimmed. In a lower corner of one of the bedrooms the paint is peeling off the wall. I sanded it down back to the plaster and repainted (oops no prep) but it's peeling again. I can vaguely recall that when we self levelled the floor the wall was splashed before painting in that area.

How do I prep to stop it peeling again? My top coat is Dulux Matt, do I need some sort of prime?

Sponsored Links
Did you apply a mist coat, prior to painting.
This can be a diluted solution of the paint you are using as your top/finishing coat.
Some paints will come with instruction on how best to prime the walls and will also give directions of the correct ratio of paint to water for the mist coat.
Read the label on the tin, it could be anywhere between 10-50% dilution depending on the paint being used.
Also if the plaster finish has been dry trowelled to a high polished finish, it can be hard to get the paint to key, could be worth slightly sanding down the plaster finish if this has been finished that way.

Did you apply a mist coat, prior to painting.

(oops no prep)

This suggests you didn't apply the mist coat so I would recommend you follow PBofD's advice to get the paint to stick.

You say that the area concerned is in a bottom corner.
Is this area prone to any condensation?
If so, before doing any painting ensure the area is fully dry and mould free. If the problem persists you might want to try using an anti-condensation paint.

any sign of damp near were problem is and paint will peel it must be comlpetely dry before applying mist coat i usually do a 1-4 mix then leave to dry then finish with topcoat, if you have had any leaks that have shown thru plaster allow to dry then use an oil based undercaot before attempting to paint with emulsion as stain will just keep coming back

Sponsored Links
Many thanks, I think the corner bit was possibly not prepared properly in the first instance, well it was then covered over with something to hide the self levelling splashes. Also on redoing it, it definitely wasn't prepared properly, Dulus straight on to plaster. I'll give it a go as recommended and hope for the best.

REMEMBER THE GOLDEN RULE WHEN PAINTING BARE PLASTER IS ALWAYS USE A WATERED DOWN MATT EMULSION FOR THE FIRST COAT THIS WILL SEAL THE PLASTER DONT WORRY IF IT LOOKS LIKE THE PLASTER IS STILL SHOWING THRU THIS WILL DISAPPEAR WHEN YOU HAVE DONE A COUPLE OF TOPCOATS.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back