Paint peeling off bathroom walls HELP!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I have just stripped the wallpaper from my bathroom walls and the paint underneath came off with it - I was happy about this as the walls are now bare plaster (looks as though they had been skimmed - probably during the last 5-8 years)

My problem is this - I want to paint the walls as I hate wallpaper but I want to avoid the paint peeling off. When I moved into my PREVIOUS house the bathroom walls had been skimmed over and painted just before I bought it - after a few months the paint started to peel off and looked like strips of PVC (the bits that peeled off were stretchy!). It looks to me like the previous owners of my CURRENT house had the same problem and ended up papering the walls.

Can you please advise on how I should prep the walls and what I need to do / what I need to use to stop the paint peeling off? I don't want to start the job until I am certain I'm doing it right and won't have peeling walls again!!

Sponsored Links
Just thought I'd add that a someone told me the paint probably peeled as there was too much water used in the plaster!! Don't know if this is true

They could have peeled because the paste has softened up the paint..or they havnt been mist coated.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like an flexible water-based coating has been applied directly to bare plaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back