newly fitted flat panel radiator cold

I hope you haven't got cream carpets! It's best to use an aquavac to suck the water from the rad (40 quid from wickes) or else crack open one of the valves and put a bowl under it. Use the bled screw to control the amount of water coming out. Can be a very messy job.

If it's a tall rad say 1.8meters you'll need a second person. Do NOT move the rad until all the water is out of it. That is asking for a disaster. Have a couple of rags, buckets and small bowls on hand and take your time doing it.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps a stupid question, but I take it the bleed nipple/screw for this rad is located at the top :?:

It is indeed.

And thanks for the advice re getting the rad off, Ill give it a go and report back.

Any tips for cleaning the inside ?

Ok, so I have taken the rad off and I have some questions.

When i put a hose in the "in" hole (bottom left), water will quite easily run straight out of the "out" pipe (bottom right). Now, I took the bleed valve out of the top, and put the hose in there, and held the rad up and water ran down and out of both ends. There WAS a blockage in the top pipe I think, at least I couldnt push the hose right to the other side until I bashed it in a bit with the hose end, then it freed up. A lot of black water came out, it was a bit sludgy, but nothing major.

My question is, if water will flow from the in to the out along the bottom of the rad, what is there to make the hot water flow right up to the top? It seems to me water would simply enter the rad, flow along the bottom and back out. Indeed, if this is what is happening, then that would explain why the in and out pipes are hot, but the rad isnt. The only way I can see this heating the whole rad is if the hot water enters at the top, and then runs along the top pipe, down the panel pipes, and then out the bottom.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Did you try opening the valves into a bucket ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back