Newly fitted light switches trip the breaker. (Ed.)

Sponsored Links
You say the second cable goes to the other light; Is that correct?

Both - correct that that is what you said and correct that it actually does.
Yes the other cable goes to the other light. The two lights each have a switch beneath them so that someone can access the switch from either side of the bed.

Securespark had it in post #19.

People have since agreed with him and even drawn a diagram but the misinformation continues.

Hi Adam, in terms of the connection to the fitting. There are two brown wires in one hole, two blue in another and two earths in the third hole. They are doubled up as the lamp also connects to another identical lamp further along the wall

Hi, I have two wall lights in a bedroom. I am currently fitting the switches. There are to be two switches one under each light. When I began to fit the first switch, I connected the wires to the switch unit and the lights came on. But when I go to switch off the light switch it trips the fuse in the consumer unit. Any ideas why this happens? Could it be because the second switch isn’t connected yet? Thanks .

Sponsored Links
Until you post a picture of the connections behind the wall lights, we will not be able to advise any further.
Just uploaded the pic of the wiring in the lamp. The second cable feeds the other wall lamp.

MARKY.M this is going round and round in circles. Please can you provide separate photographs, each marked up with what is in the photo, of every switch and light fitting involved, so we can see the actual terminations, and what wires are connected to what in the entire circuit please?

In addition, did any of this circuit ever work properly before you laid hands on it, and which parts you have you have changed, or altered please?

Marky M
Before this turn sinto one of the regular fiascos.

Some on here don't or won't understand what what you have done and what you are trying to do.
From your descriptions so far I think you have this situation:
1701279145652.png

A cable arriving at both lights with power and then a cable going to the switch below it.
Is this right?

Marky M
Before this turn sinto one of the regular fiascos.

Some on here don't or won't understand what what you have done and what you are trying to do.
From your descriptions so far I think you have this situation:
View attachment 323195
A cable arriving at both lights with power and then a cable going to the switch below it.
Is this right?
Yes this is correct although the light on the left has x 2 of the wires you are showing as it also feeds to the light on the right.

You will need an additional terminal at each light, I show as screw terminal, wago is fine but the left will be for 3 wires.
The blue wire at each switch (I show as darker) is not neutral, it is switched live and will require brown sleeve at each end.

1701284554246.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back