LIGHTING BREAKER TRIPPING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HELP!!!!!

THE BREAKER THATS FOR THE LIGHTS IN MY HOUSE KEEPS TRIPPING EVEN WHEN THE LIGHTS ARE SWITCHED OFF AND THE BREAKER IS RESET, I HAVE CHECKED THE WIRING IN THE LIGHTS BUT CANNOT SEE ANY FAULTS.

DAVID

Sponsored Links
stop SHOUTING!

give us more clues. What caused the breaker to trip in the first place? Does this breaker only control the one circuit? Does it have a test button?

The breaker is for the lights only, it only started tripping a few days ago, I put the breaker back into the on position with all the lights off, after approx 10mins it trips, its the same scenario for when the lights are on.

There isnt any test buttons on the breaker.

Any Clues?

Do you have mice? Or squirrels? Could be a nibbled wire.

It could also be water getting into an external light fitting. Do you have any PIR sensor lights?

Do you have a test button on any other breakers? i.e. do you have an RCD device (also known as an RCCB)?

Do you have anything on the lighting circuit which isn't just a normal light fitting?

Sponsored Links
I had this kinda thing happen a couple of months back with an installation tripping randomly at irregular intervals.

The fault was eventually discovered to be water that had got into the building cavity on the conservatory and was pouring into a light switch. The building had been up 8 years, but there had been a lot of torrential rain and enough was enough.

You may find that if the tripping is irregular, and not on energising the circuit or turning on a switch, that it could possibly be rodents or moisture getting to some cabling/connections.

If any of your light fittings have been changed in the last year then look there as well, as loose connections can take a long time to finally burn out.

Please pay attention to the safe isolation procedure, of which the information can be found on here if you look for it, before you carry out any work.

I have checked all installations, I have 4nr lighting units that have 4nr halogen spot lights on and they look fine aswell.

I dont have any external lights with PIR, the breakers dont have any buttons on apart from the on/off switch.

The light I have in my conservatory is wired to a different circuit.

you cannot have checked all the installations unless you've inspected every inch of the cable along it's run..

View media item 9882rodents like cable for some reason..

you need to get a sparky in to check the circuit out.. could be a break down in old conductors or any other number of reasons..
you haven't put up any shelves or pictures of clocks or anything on a wall anywhere in the last 6 months have you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back