Circuit breaker reset but no stiil no power!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, was wondering if anyone could give me some help with the following problem. Some lights went off in the house this morning, went to the Main Circuit board and found one of the breakers had tripped. I reset the breaker, however, the power to the lights have not returned even though the breaker is remained on?

Sponsored Links
Loose connection. Start at the light fitting closest to the consumer unit that isnt working, open it up (power OFF) and check the connections. Any loose ones, tighten them up.

Thanks for the replies, PBofD there is no RCD, but thanks for the suggestion.
Steve, I'll check for a loose connection now and post back, thanks!

Sponsored Links
Try pushing the switch all the way off, and then back on.

When turning it on, does it feel as though it's working the same as the others?

Done any work recently which involved the lighting, or holes in walls, floors or ceilings anywhere?

No loose connections, and when resetting the switch if feels the same as the others. Also, no work has taken place recently :( . Looks like I'll have to get an electrician round :(

If you have switched the MCB off and on again and you are still not getting any power then it may be that your MCB has said goodbye to life.

However, I would have still thought a loose connection would be more likely. Possibly a short caused by a loose connection which tripped the MCB. The fault has now cleared but your left with your loose connection.

How have you checked your connections? A multimeter would be helpful for you to diagnose this yourself but if you're not too happy fiddling about with electrics then call out a spark as you suggested.

No loose connections, and when resetting the switch if feels the same as the others. Also, no work has taken place recently :( . Looks like I'll have to get an electrician round :(

Have you checked all switches?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back