Newly installed combi boiler causing pipe leaks

Sponsored Links
In the electrical a good electrician will, for example, test all circuits on an electrical installation before changing the consumer unit. However, not every problem can be detected through testing. After moving from an old Wylex Standard to a modern consumer unit with RCDs and RCBOs, would you expect an electrician to return and fault find free of charge if one of your appliances is causing nuisance tripping?

The point I'm trying to make here is that testing can only get you so far. I maintain that after carrying out a pressure test, you would have been in exactly the same predicament regardless of what type of boiler you had fitted.
I appreciate your point, but again I am not sure it is a good analogy.

In this particular case the pipes burst immediately after first running the boiler, not at some significant period afterwards (in which case my arguments would be less valid).

So I am therefore questioning the validity of the pressure test, and the timing between it and failure.

If the point of the test is to determine the suitability of the pipes for a combi, then surely it should be performed first. If it was, then I find it very doubtful that it passed OK, but just by coincidence failed on first running the boiler.

Other posters have mentioned that power flushing may have caused it, but how likely is that to happen?

Regarding the opinions of posters, they virtually all appear to be biased towards the views of trades people, rather than customers, because they are trades people, so there is no surprise there.

All the same I appreciate that you and others go to the trouble of contributing.

Tel has either misunderstood and misquoting, or he's making it up. The only alternative is that the IoPH is not "fir for purpose", and I will resign immediately!. Or I would if I was a member.

Is there a member of the Institute that could say if this is a genuine IPH statem

I most certainly did not make it up, by all means check with them, and hopefully follow their advise in future.

Well I've just read the whole of this thread and I'm not a gas fitter. I just have to say that the gas guys have totally destroyed any argument that Telbee has come up with. For heaven's sake stop being stubborn and accept the referee's decision. When one man says the rest of the world is wrong we all know who is really wrong. If there is blame anywhere it's with the initial installer concreting directly over the copper piping.
Oh and it really shouldn't cost much to get a 9 inch grinder with a good diamond disc out and cut a new groove in the floor. You can do the clean up yourself after. :p

Gas engineers 10 - OP - 0.

Sponsored Links
Tel has either misunderstood and misquoting, or he's making it up. The only alternative is that the IoPH is not "fir for purpose", and I will resign immediately!. Or I would if I was a member.

Is there a member of the Institute that could say if this is a genuine IPH statem

I most certainly did not make it up, by all means check with them, and hopefully follow their advise in future.

I most certainly won't! I beleive that I clearly demonstated that the advice, or at least the options section is nonsense. As an engineer, can't you see the stupidity of the statement?

After this point the installer should have made us aware of the existence of weak pipes and the need for a decision to a) replace pipes or b) use an alternative (lower pressure) boiler.

Well I've just read the whole of this thread and I'm not a gas fitter. I just have to say that the gas guys have totally destroyed any argument that Telbee has come up with. For heaven's sake stop being stubborn and accept the referee's decision. When one man says the rest of the world is wrong we all know who is really wrong. If there is blame anywhere it's with the initial installer concreting directly over the copper piping.
Oh and it really shouldn't cost much to get a 9 inch grinder with a good diamond disc out and cut a new groove in the floor. You can do the clean up yourself after. :p

Gas engineers 10 - OP - 0.

As I mentioned earlier, nearly all posters are tradesmen, so it's no big surprise. And more importantly, Consumer Direct and the Institute appear to have very different opinions.

So you might be judging the final score a bit too early ;)

As I mentioned earlier, nearly all posters are tradesmen, so it's no big surprise.

Quite laughable, really. This isn't a "scratch my back" club. If you care to read a few more posts, you will find that there is no shortage of tradesmen criticising or questioning the actions of others.

Regarding the opinions of posters, they virtually all appear to be biased towards the views of trades people, rather than customers, because they are trades people, so there is no surprise there.
I am a householder, not a heating installer. But I have been in business and would hesitate to accept responsibilty for repairing an inherent, pre-existing fault in a customers installation, free of charge. It would be difficult to persuade a Court that the contract to fit a new boiler implicitly gave the boiler installer that responsibility.

Don't you think?

I am a householder, not a heating installer. But I have been in business and would hesitate to accept responsibilty for repairing an inherent, pre-existing fault in a customers installation, free of charge. It would be difficult to persuade a Court that the contract to fit a new boiler implicitly gave the boiler installer that responsibility.

Don't you think?
The crux of this matter is/was the pressure test perfomed correct.As the PRV on the new boiler is 3 bar, any test carried out should have at least achieved the 3 bar blow off,not failed at 1.bar after commissioning .as stated.The onus, in my opinion is with who did the test, and the results of such.3 bar should have destroyed the existing pipework if it,s leaking at 1 bar after commission.even given it being under 1" of screed.this must have shown during the test.if correctly done

Don't you think?

JohnD, that is pretty close to my overall opinion. I have stated from the start that I do not believe it is reasonable to expect a business to take on the risk of repairing existing pipe installations.

However I do believe it is the responsibility of a company to test the pipes prior to committing to an installation. My argument has been that the company stated that they did perform such a test, then installed the boiler, which immediately caused the pipes to burst. I find this suspicious.

Of all the opinions voiced so far the only convincing argument against my case is that the pipes would have needed replacing anyway. As I stated earlier, if the test had been performed first, and showed failing pipes prior to fitting the new boiler, I may have at least had the option of repairing my existing lower pressure open boiler, and not incurring the cost of a new boiler which would not work without additional significant repair costs.

Instead the boiler installation went ahead, and rather suspiciously failed immediately on operating the boiler, at which point I was committed to the new system.

Other than that I have heard nothing else that puts any doubt in my mind about pursuing a claim.

I also find it quite telling that there has not been a single opinion with any sympathy to the fact I have paid out a large sum of money for a boiler which fails to operate, which has caused major flooding and inconvenience, and the installation company now expects further money to put it right. This probably is a very good indication of the mindset of most of the posters on here (and from my experience most tradesmen).

I also find it quite telling that there has not been a single opinion with any sympathy to the fact I have paid out a large sum of money for a boiler which fails to operate, which has caused major flooding and inconvenience, and the installation company now expects further money to put it right. This probably is a very good indication of the mindset of most of the posters on here (and from my experience most tradesmen).

fortunately you dont have to suffer the dishonest/rude/misinformed customers that we have to, every body now thinks that "plumbers" earn vast sums and that its acceptable not to pay on the flimiest excuse, in most customers houses nothing ever wears out even although nothing is ever serviced and its the tradesmans fault because "it was alright till you touched it",

get a price to get the pipes fixed and enjoy your new boiler.

I wonder who asked for a combi boiler in this instance. Why did you want a combi boiler? I also wonder... what if the installer had capped the pipes to the header tank and cranked the pressure to plus 3 bar and pipes had burst at that point, would the OP be looking for re-imbursement? I see this scenario a case of between the devil and the deep blue sea.

By the way, an installer I know, tests his new plumbing at 6bar.

OP:
As I stated earlier, if the test had been performed first, and showed failing pipes prior to fitting the new boiler, I may have at least had the option of repairing my existing lower pressure open boiler, and not incurring the cost of a new boiler which would not work without additional significant repair costs

But you would still have the leak. Otherwise the "test" wouls have passed.

OP, can i just ask, if the company had found the leak(s) prior to the installation of the combi, what would you have done ? Would you have the pipes repaired at your expense or would you have blamed them for causing the leak and expected them to pay for the new pipework ? Plus if their test had blew a pipe upstairs causing more damage, who would have paid for that ?

to summise this thread is about a tightarse who doesn't want to pay and will weasel any which way he can.

I hope the bloke you're trying to fleece chins you. :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back