Newly installed parquet noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My newly installed parquet floor (oak blocks 700 x 350 x 20) has yesterday started to make strange crackle noises. The noises happen without us walking over it. The floor was varnished last week and the rooms are still empty. Is this normal? We left the expansion gap around the walls.
Thanks
Vinnie

Sponsored Links
What is the underfloor, was that clean and what adhesive has been used?

The original floor is pine boards. I screwed on top 9mm wbp ply and before laying the ply sheet I screewed the boards that were making noises. Once all the sub was done I checked for noises and there were none.

The adhesive used is the SLC L34 of Kerakoll. The parquet was layed in 3 bedrooms and landing a week ago. The floor was varnished last thursday.

Yesterday evening while I was downstairs it starts making the noises and one room seems making more than the others, the one south facing. I forgot to mention that there are no curtains on and I start to think that maybe the sun has dried/warmed the floor and probably in the evening is cooling down causing the crackle.

Thanks
V

That might be the cause. Every wood floor settled over time but can react when temperature etc changes during the day.

At least there is no old bitumen underneath it, which was my first worry, hence the above questions

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back