Newly installed Shower Tray with slow drainage and sound

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I had a new shower tray(slimline) fitted with accompanying waste trap.The same plumber also fitted a washbasin and WC near to it.Bathroom floor is all tiled up.
WC works fine.Using washbasin produced tapping sounds from the pipes inside the floor.Shower tray drains very slowly and using plunger etc hasnt helped.Also we found that using washbasin sometimes produces differences in water level/swirls inside the waste trap in shower tray.
Plumber having got his share of money though promising to come and check it hasnt done for last 2 weeks.He claims to have used the right sizes and fall.
What could be the problem?What could be done?
Please help

Sponsored Links
tapping noise is thermal pipe expansion underneath the floor- pipe rubbing on joist. waste for shower and basin needs investigating. second floor? may be a lot easier to remove part of ceiling below.

tapping noise is thermal pipe expansion underneath the floor- pipe rubbing on joist. waste for shower and basin needs investigating. second floor? may be a lot easier to remove part of ceiling below.
Hi
Thanks for the explanation.
Just noticed slight dampness on the ceiling in the room below.
The plumber who installed it tells me that it could be from Radiators which may be leaking and nothing is wrong with Shower or Washbasin Drainage systems.

The plumber who installed it tells me that it could be from Radiators which may be leaking and nothing is wrong with Shower or Washbasin Drainage systems.

Obviously he isn't going to blame his (possibly) bad workmanship! ;)

Sponsored Links
why would the rads be leaking? he have them off to tile the wall? if not, call his bluff and get him back.

Your plumber sounds like a to$$er! I would carry out a quick visual of the rads, checking for any signs of leakage, just to negate that element. You deffo need to get a look at the pipes he has put in. I wonder if he has fitted a 't' piece the wrong way, as they are directional. So instead of guiding water from the basin to the soil stack, its guiding basin water toward the shower trap. You need to get him back and he needs to rectify the problems.

Your plumber sounds like a to$$er! I would carry out a quick visual of the rads, checking for any signs of leakage, just to negate that element. You deffo need to get a look at the pipes he has put in. I wonder if he has fitted a 't' piece the wrong way, as they are directional. So instead of guiding water from the basin to the soil stack, its guiding basin water toward the shower trap. You need to get him back and he needs to rectify the problems.
He promised to come day after tomorrow.He had taken radiator to fix tiles.But I am sure the leaks are after shower usage.
Is there any ways I can put in a complaint/force him to do the repair if he doesnt turn up- now that he had his money?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back