Shower tray installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm having a new shower tray fitted and have had two plumbers round to look at the job so far. The trouble is that both plumbers are reccomending slightly different approaches and I dont know which is more appropriate.

Plumber 1 recomends that I get:
- A shower tray with upstands,
- Then build a wooden frame for the shower tray to sit on to minimise movement,
- Using cement board as a backing board behind the tiles.

Plumber 2 reccomends:
- Says that upstands are not worth it, as as long as the tray is properly installed there is no need for upstands.
- Says that there is no need for a wooden frame as onces again, as long as the tray is properly installed, the legs properly screwed down, and that plenty of good quality silicone is used there should be no need for a frame.
- No need for cement board, Marine ply sealed with pva would be best.

Option 1 sounds like the the belt and braces approach to me, but is this overkill and adding unnecessary cost ?

I thank you in advance for any advice you may have.

Sponsored Links
Option one is definetly better,I always recommend upstands on trays

PVA that wonder glue is actually for plasterers but in recent years seem to have become like mayonnaise you find it being used everywhere!!!

The backing in shower should be cement board,this waterproof and there is no chance of any water passing through as long as all joints are closed with tape using flexible tile adhesive

I prefer to bed a shower down On flexible tile adhesive with treated timber frame ,if it comes with legs then the manufacturer has put them there for that reason.The shower can stand on those

Fella 1 seems to know what he is talking about ....................

Option one is definitely better,I always recommend upstands on trays

PVA that wonder glue is actually for plasterers but in recent years seem to have become like mayonnaise you find it being used everywhere!!!

The backing in shower should be cement board,this waterproof and there is no chance of any water passing through as long as all joints are closed with tape using flexible tile adhesive and tanked

I prefer to bed a shower down On flexible tile adhesive with treated timber frame ,if it comes with legs then the manufacturer has put them there for that reason.The shower can stand on those

Silicone is there for decorative as well as aesthetic purpose,line of silicone should not be what you rely on to get a shower water tight!!!!!
Fella 1 seems to know what he is talking about ....................

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back