Shower tray now cracked

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had a shower tray installed (3 months ago). It was originally put on top the bricks & then I insisted it be put on a proper wooden frame. The bricks were then pulled out & a frame of wood made up from scraps of wood was shoved underneath without removing the tiles or anything. (Needless to say I let that plumber go). The shower tray now has a7-8 cm crack in it in the corner near the drain with a further crack branching off towards the drain. ( The rest of the bathroom ia almost finished & has had to be installed by 2 builders who have done a good job.)
The shower tray is under a 50 year warranty.
Please let me know what I should do now re my cracked resin shower tray.
JVH :(

Sponsored Links
how did the MI tell you install the try? on bricks? on wood? on nothing bar itself? When did the cracks develop? whilst the wood that you insisted on was installed? Maby you should contact the seller of the tray and use there 50 years garantee if you have installed it correctly. What was the maximun weight the tray could take?

i would assume the manufacturer will not honour the warranty as the tray has not been fitted as per MI's, (i assume) they usually say a flat clean steady base is required so that the tray doesn't crack through moving, even if the crack is through a fault in the tray manufacture it is likely that the way yours has been fitted will be their get out of jail card, sorry

Sponsored Links
if its the same as my screwfix resin base i suported it every 200mm topped with 18mm ply with dry mix to bed into

in other words the tray is fully supported accross its base :cry:

all depends on instalation instructions but i would say the minimum would be 12mm ply support every 300mm maX and bedded on somthing to absorb uneveness

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back