Newly laid patio level with doors DPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently had a new patio laid, which is generally fine, though I have concerns about the height of the patio and the door.

The main patio has a fall away from the house, but attached to our house is our garage, which is on a lower level, so we have a little corner where the steps lower down to the garage. Here the fall is angled so that it flows behind the water butt where there is a bit of dead space where there is a mini fence leading to a gap between the houses (the back wall is the neighbours house)

Our garage door DPC is below the wooden garage door lintel, which is now the same height as the patio. I have thrown a 60L bin full of water onto this lower level area which quickly either goes down the drain or in the gap at the back which is fine, although as you can see from the picture, some has made it under the wooden threshold and into the garage.

I don't think this is a huge problem in the sense that there wont often be 60L of water thrown on the patio in one go with the normal rainfall, and if some water did get in it's not a big problem as long as it drains through the base.

However is going to be a problem when we come to sell the house and a surveyor raises it?
Is there a way to raise this threshold and the DPC? There is about an inch of sealant above the door before the metal lintel for some reason so it could be raised a bit or replaced with a pvc door?

262232304_1048605859318081_6290681331601960499_n.jpg 262506120_324889345889569_5129126344631956883_n.jpg 263152248_423140996121674_2994017750422242292_n.jpg

Sponsored Links
Most door frames are pushed into the wall from outside but are you sure that the water isn't just coming under the door?
ie that the frame is fine but the door leaks?

Personally I wouldn't worry until it started to rot.
A new deflector on the door might help but a huge amount of water chucked at the door won't help.

If you look at the last picture, the top bricks aren't wet where the door is, but the water is coming from the DPC layer. I guess it could have come from the door on the outside part and gone down to the DPC layer.
(there is water on the top in one picture, but thats just from me stepping on it)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back