Newly laid turf not as expected....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

recently had new turf laid around mid June.

Initially it was regularly watered morning and evening the last two weeks of June however my wife had to go on business and then on holiday for first two weeks of July.

We both returned and found the grass to be quite long.

We were aware not to cut it when wet however had no choice as it was so long and we didnt want it getting any longer so we went ahead.

It has had a few cuts since however there are "whiteish" areas and some areas where it is not growing well. Most of the lawn receives the sun.

I have attached some pics.

I have since learnt not to cut when wet. Only remove 1/3 of its height. Cut to about 3.5cm (1.5 inches).

We have a John Deere petrol lawnmower (Run 41) and feel its quite heavy for the lawn such than when you turn to cut the next strip the wheels are damaging the lawn.

I am looking for a product such as lawn feed or advice that will help thicken up the lawn?

Its quite an area to cover - 200sqm to 300sqm.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Photo 17-07-2016, 17 04 05.jpg
    Photo 17-07-2016, 17 04 05.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 350
  • Photo 23-08-2016, 12 58 13.jpg
    Photo 23-08-2016, 12 58 13.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 356
  • Photo 30-08-2016, 10 43 29.jpg
    Photo 30-08-2016, 10 43 29.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 341
  • Photo 30-08-2016, 10 43 38.jpg
    Photo 30-08-2016, 10 43 38.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 344
  • Photo 30-08-2016, 10 46 14.jpg
    Photo 30-08-2016, 10 46 14.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 337
Sponsored Links
same happened to my newly laid lawn after cutting wet and cutting short (more than 1/3) but I believe it is recovering now, just water it from time to time and don't cut short. Since I ruined mine I have been cutting it on a high setting only for about 6 weeks or so.

maybe pro's here can suggest something different though...

It just needs a bit of fertiliser. Consider the stress turf undergoes being cut, stored and then laid having to grow new roots quickly. Its super green on Arriva because its been well fed by the grower.

You need to take over and feed it a couple of times a year, ideally 3.

Use an autumn specific feed now as spring summer and autumn feeds vary slightly.

Sponsored Links
The link doesn't work for me but anything should be fine. You don't need a 3 in 1 weed feed moss type product as you should have no moss and very few if any weeds at this stage so just a feed will be fine.

You need to use a spreader, if you overdose one area which is easy done by hand it will burn the turf and kill it.

Lawns like this recover themselves. New lawn can grow vertically very quickly before it really properly establishes and spreads it's roots out as the soil is often combined with a pre fertiliser. If it were my lawn I wouldn't add anything to it, just cut high and let it recover on it's own. You don't want to encourage growth just now, granted, an autumn feed isn't designed to green up a lawn, but it won't do a huge amount for the bare patches until roots spread and the shocked plants in those areas start to sprout again.

If left too long a new, well watered lawn will go to seed very quickly. Once this happens the grass dies in those areas to allow the seeds to do their thing. This is why you have small areas of yellowing lawn. Its nothing to worry about and will grow back soundly next season.
Advice for new lawns: (Assuming they have been laid properly)
  • Water well but not drowned in the evening only and as required. This depends on the weather.
  • Stay off the lawn in the first fortnight for all except essential needs.
  • Cut once growth is taking place across the whole lawn and roots have taken. (check by peeling up a small corner) Do not cut too much in one go. If possible, cut every 5 days and take no more than 1 inch each time. Again, depends on the weather.
  • Do not apply any organic or chemical fertiliser to the lawn in the first season after laying - even if done in winter.
  • Mechanical removal of weeds is better than chemical but is labour intensive. Consider paying slaves (children) per weed removed.

I used Scotts autumn feed in September - by now most of yellow patches disappeared and growth improved, however because i used spreader for the first time I applied less fertiliser than recommended on the box and still have two patches which are still yellowish and grow slowly comparing to the rest of the garden, so I plan to add bit more fertiliser on those areas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back