Next doors screaming boiler advice PLEASE!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Next door have fitted a combi boiler in their garage with an outlet that faces our house - it did puff and bang on start up but they seem to have fixed this however now the thing seems to emit a high pitch scream when operating - this does vary but it seems to be most of the night - they wash clothes every night -

the problem is my wife cannot sleep :( with this noise she is woken continually, we can hear it in our lounge and our bedroom which face their garage. its a detached house aprox 25 foot away from our wall - we dont get on very well with them and they may ignore an attempt to
communicate however if we knew what to suggest it may help - would value any advice. Thanks

Sound is a funny thing and outside its not so noticeable

Sponsored Links
Is the flue within 2.5 metres from your boundary? If so then it shouldn't be pointing a "plume" towards you, but even if they turned it I imaginne you'd still hear the noise. Some condensers have plume diverting kits - maybe one might help.

It shouldn't make that sort of noise anyway. If it's new the manufacturer should be helpful even if the installer isn't.

Might be worth a call to the CAB just so you know where you stand legally even if you have no intention of "going there". Environmental Health can be powerful - don't know f they'll chat about it.

Thanks its further than 2.5m and exits at about 45 degrees towards us - outside its very difficult to hear the noise, our wall seems to intensify the sound inside - not sure they would consider a divert kit but as you say it might help. The boiler must make some noise but originally it did not scream.

Sponsored Links
A midnight sortee over the fence with a can of expanding filler might give your wife one good nights sleep [ before the fire engine wakes her!!]. Don't know the answer here but it could get nasty. Remember Mr Bush invaded Iraq for not much more, don't think it'll go that far though. Leylandii hedges take too long, perhaps buy an old removal lorry & park it up. Good luck!

Mark

Milk, no sugar ta.

The wifes out there in the middle of the night walking around the garden - i went out last night but could not hear much but she seems pretty convinced its comes from over the fence - :rolleyes: im checking the loft today as well as turning just about electricals off in case thats it !

I dont think you will get far on this one unless you offer to buy your neighbour a new boiler and pay for the installation or perhaps repairs to the existing one.
Another approach is to soundproof your house or at least bedroom. Materials with a thermal insulation quality are also good against sound. So another layer of insulation over your bedroom ceiling could be useful. Are your walls cavity insulated? You could get a grant and save money on heating bills
Make sure you fill in any cracks in your windows, make sure windows close properly and or fit a double glazed window with a greater gap between the panes.
A layer of soundcoat plaster and skim can be a help but my cheapest idea is to buy your wife some earmuffs :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Start lookin at your own house if you can`t hear it outside an your hearing something 25 feet away through 12 inches of walls i very much doubt it is next doors boiler. And if you can`t hear it don`t agree with the wife that you can just to make her feel better. Even if next door wash clothes all night boiler would only be on a max of couple of mins at a time.

We had a similar noise that was heard all over the place. When I investigated further it was my wife puffing and banging on start up!
I also noticed all her sisters made a similar whining noise as well.

No offence to anyone this was just my problem at home here, but hope this helps.

Perhaps your wife will stop hearing the noises for a while after her next depot injection.

:LOL: i would have thought if it was that noisy it would be covered by the environmental health people on the noise nuisance laws. I recently had to replace a fan in a very noisy warm air unit because of complaints by the neighbours to EH.

hah.gif
Paul Barker said:
Perhaps your wife will stop hearing the noises for a while after her next depot injection.

Is it less tolerable one or two days a month? I know I am at home can't get anything right certain days.

I know our kitchen appliances were white just so they matched her wedding dress but I was not aware she had to make a matching Noise!

It's the high wine sound that I can't stand and always around 11pm. Pub closing time. Strange but true.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back