NI Protocol - Windsor Framework

Sponsored Links
I wonder if Gant has ever been to mainland Europe.

Anybody who has been to France, Germany, Spain, Italy etc would know they are about as far away from being a homologous group as is humanly possible.

Poor Gant, can’t get past his uninformed beliefs about the world
How prevalent is the English language around Europe.
As they say empires aren't built in a day.

That can’t be said of Irish, its a much more limited language than English which draws on so many other (European) languages for the breadth and depth of expressions.
True, but Ireland is a much more insular society because of their isolation from mainland Europe - although that cannot be said of the early Middle Ages, when places like Clonmacnoise were centers of learning, attracting scholars from Paris and Rome. It's only limited in certain ways but in terms of expression and nuance it has depth and a resonance that takes time to hear properly.

Sponsored Links
True, but Ireland is a much more insular society because of their isolation from mainland Europe - although that cannot be said of the early Middle Ages, when places like Clonmacnoise were centers of learning, attracting scholars from Paris and Rome. It's only limited in certain ways but in terms of expression and nuance it has depth and a resonance that takes time to hear properly.
Many great writers declined to write in Irish, like James Joyce, but my point is that as indigenous language it is especially worthy of protection. Dismissing it because the majority speak English misses the point. I know at least one guy from a galetacht region of Ireland who spoke only irish when he came over in the 7o's.

Many great writers declined to write in Irish, like James Joyce, but my point is that as indigenous language it is especially worthy of protection. Dismissing it because the majority speak English misses the point. I know at least one guy from a galetacht region of Ireland who spoke only irish when he came over in the 7o's.
I agree it's worth protecting those languages but Protestant Irish are wary of Fenian attempts to bring any ethnicity into Ulster's cultural life, especially now that Sinn Fein has control of Stormont. James Joyce declined to write in Irish because he wanted to avoid a partisan stance in the Civil War, unlike Yeats who embraced the Celtic Revival of Irish culture wholeheartedly.

Worth a trip to Yeats grave if you re ever that way, magnificent views of Ben Bulben

How prevalent is the English language around Europe.
As they say empires aren't built in a day.
That has nothing to do with you claiming EU is trying to turn its members into a single group.

Gant, if you bothered reading, you would see what you have quoted is the question.

The conclusion contradicts your claim of gloop:

“The study also rejected that the world has become more homogenized, but rather that globalization has opened the doors to the enhancement of cultures.”

The findings of the research questions revealed that, for the most part, globalization has, in fact, positively impacted individuals' cultural identities and lives. The positive effect of globalization appeared in the form of increased education and employment opportunities and increased open-mindedness regarding cultural diversity”

So you don't think we've become a more secular society and religion is on the decline. You can see it amongst Muslims in this country as they become more westernized.
Everyone now is open to enticement by way of consumerism in the western world.
Open mindedness regarding cultural diversity. Laws regarding racism if your not.

. James Joyce declined to write in Irish because he wanted to avoid a partisan stance in the Civil War
More likely he wanted to sell more books to a wider public outside Ireland.

Sponsored Links
Back