NIC EIC Test sheets?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Guys i have a question if i may?

I am an approved electrician with 2391 and 17th edition and until recently have been completely industrial and commercial (Wembley Arena, Wimbledon Centre court, Court 2, Court 3 and DEFRA as well as Pembury hospital to mention but a few)

However due to redundancy i am now installing domestic Solar PV systems and using twin and earth for the first time!!! I KNOW!!!

I am being asked to fill out NIC EIC test sheets which i also have never used before and in some cases can be a little confusing.

For example:
If i instal a 2 way CCU with a 63A RCD BS61008 main switch and 16A MCB BS60898 in 16mm pvc/pvc next to origin of supply via a henley block where do i record the R1+R2, IR and Zs of the meter tails?

I have been filling in the top row astersik column on page 3 of test sheet that asks for details if CCU is remote from origin so that i can include all details of the 63A RCD main switch including R1+R2 of meter tails etc.

I then write the 16A 60898 characteristics in column 1 under the asterisk *

But my Supervisor is telling me that i just write the charactersistics of the 60898 in column 1 and do not include the 63A RCD other than on page 2.

But he then writes the RCD test results 1x and 5x in the 16A 60898 column and puts 30ma in the same column.
Is this correct? Can he do that? I thought the characteristics had to correspond to the circuit not the RCD protecting it.

I am probably going to need to take photos to explain myself better because i cant imagine anyone making sense of this tosh!!!

This is so frustrating as i could explain this in 15 seconds if i had one of you guys in front of me.

I'll get me coat.

Fiardor

Sponsored Links
Firstly -well done for getting yourself started on your own, I don't think you will ever look back.

Personally I don't think there is a right or wrong way to do this, but I am not NIC so I don't have to foll ow their edicts, Pesonally if the board is not at the origin of the supply I do what GN3 says and record the information about the tail Zs (Zdb) and the PFC etc on the header of the sheet of the eic.

If there is a RCD main switch I would also record this in the first row of the schedule of test results and put a line under it, this allows the rcd test to be recorded along side it. and I would for clarity put in the zs and the IRs in that row.
edit and the R1+R2

Hope this helps, if you put me down as a friend I can send you one of mine:)

Actually scrub what I have said He is right, I do that too. rereading what you have written, he is right the RCD results are the same for each circuit served by the rcd mainswitch

I'm not really clear as to what your question is, but measured Ze should always be measured at each individual fuseboard. After that all measurements are Zs until you come to the next fuseboard, at that point the previous Zs measurement becomes the Ze for that fuseboard.

Thank you Sir for replying to my tosh but that wasnt really my question.

But Ze is Ze at the origin of supply only after that its Zs no matter where it goes.

Because after the origin parallel paths will be introduced from the previous board therefore it cannot be tested as true Ze.

And also the testing of Zs is different to Ze at the origin so i dont see how the previous Zs result can become the Ze for that fuseboard.

Look forward to you putting me straight if i am in correct Sir.

Sponsored Links
Firstly -well done for getting yourself started on your own, I don't think you will ever look back.

Personally I don't think there is a right or wrong way to do this, but I am not NIC so I don't have to foll ow their edicts, Pesonally if the board is not at the origin of the supply I do what GN3 says and record the information about the tail Zs (Zdb) and the PFC etc on the header of the sheet of the eic.

If there is a RCD main switch I would also record this in the first row of the schedule of test results and put a line under it, this allows the rcd test to be recorded along side it. and I would for clarity put in the zs and the IRs in that row.
edit and the R1+R2

Hope this helps, if you put me down as a friend I can send you one of mine:)

Actually scrub what I have said He is right, I do that too. rereading what you have written, he is right the RCD results are the same for each circuit served by the rcd mainswitch

Martin you are a legend.
Many thanks but now i have to eat a big piece of humble pie. :(

Yeah surely it's Zdb, Ze is at the origin ONLY??? Probably best to just ignore holmslaw, his view on many things is divergent to just about everyone else here.

Thank you Sir for replying to my tosh but that wasnt really my question.

But Ze is Ze at the origin of supply only after that its Zs no matter where it goes.

Because after the origin parallel paths will be introduced from the previous board therefore it cannot be tested as true Ze.

And also the testing of Zs is different to Ze at the origin so i dont see how the previous Zs result can become the Ze for that fuseboard.

Look forward to you putting me straight if i am in correct Sir.
I agree with holmslaw on this one with regards of the form filling, you may be technically correct fiador, but a schedules of tests should be taken at each DB where a Ze is asked for on the form. So I would always take a Ze reading at the board I was testing or add the r1+r2 value of cable between boards, to the reading of Ze on the previous board and document it.

Ah i see, ok my apologies to you and Holmslaw.

But to write BS60898 followed by 30ma then the RCD tripping time in ms 1x and 5x in the same column does not make sense does it?

And where do i put the characteristics of this RCD protecting the 60898? What if the main switch is a 100A BS60947-3 and the RCD is secondary to this. I have no where to document this important piece of information unless i fill in the asterisk section on page 3 but i am told by my superior this is wrong unless its a sub main or remote from the origin. But what does remote mean? 2 inches? 3 feet? 10 metres? If it has a supply off the henley block then this cable surely must be tested i.e continuity, polarity, Zs Size of cable etc etc.

You see i am babbling again.

But as i said in my opening post all my previous experience has been with many and various non NIC EIC test sheets that give no room for error or assumptions and are then scrutinised by superior knob heads whose job it is to find anomilies and mistakes which is why i am such a **** when entering incorrect or mislesading information.

I wasnt aware that we/you/us could make certain assumptions when filling out these legal documents and thus in the future i must become more err how shall we say? Flexible?

I have atleast 5 or 6 questions relating to this kind of situation but fear anymore inane babble would warrant a swift kick in the front bottom from all you good people.

Thank you and good night LOL :confused:

I don't use the niceic forms, so it's something I have not had any practice in.
But they don't look that different to ones I do use.
When documenting the RCDs. I put the RCD in a row of it's own as it were a circuit and the MCBs the RCD is protecting below it.
So you can then fill in the information required for the RCD.
If you have dual RCD protected board. I would Document RCD1 then the circuit covered, then RCD2 and the circuits covered by that.
My forms don't have the x5 trip for the RCDs but I put this in remarks.
I hope that makes sense!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back