Nice floor boards - what do we do with them..?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We are slowly working our way around the house and have come to the lounge floor. Having removed the flooring we are quite impressed and want to keep the bear boards as the floor but are unsure about what we need to do.

The state of the floor means that there is minimal sanding to do, they are in good nick and all nails seem flush and soundly fixed. The flooring is not tongue and groove so there are gaps ranging from 0.5mm to 4mm across the floor. Help with the following would be appreciated....

What is best to use to treat the floor with, stain, oil, yacht varnish...?

It's a bit draughty - Do we fill all the gaps, just the biggies and what with...?

Sponsored Links
Zippy, your gap is eaisly solved try and source some boarding of a similar type and age (if Possible) and cut slivers to glue into your gaps personally I would give the floor a light sanding you will be surprised what is on there, and for the finish where do you want to start I use 'Rustins' products and from what you describe I would go for one of their Poly varnish/stain finish, three coats and a light sanding after the first coat goes off, the main thing is to get rid of the dust, cheers

Turbine. Thanks for the tips.

I'll look into the timber, bit concerned about getting the right match shade/age wise. We are going to sand as there a bit of a pattern left from the underlay but I am relieved that the boards aren't so bad as to require hiring a sander and sealing the room off - Have heard horror stories about that.

I have been told that the dust should be removed with a cloth and white spirit, is that nessecary or is hoovering the floor enough..?

Swelec, don't worry to much about the match you can wipe down like you say but I use tac cloth which does the job better.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back