Nice old tap, removing ceramic H/C indicator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have got here a nice old sink tap with ceramic hot/cold indicator.
I need to replace the gland packing but can't get the ceramic button off the top. Small screwdriver is applied gently all round but it's not budging. Any more force will definitely crack the ceramic which would spoil it.

There is no screw in the side of the tap top, so it must be under the button.

How were these little H/C buttons held onto old taps? Any tips for removing them without damage?

GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
I think you`ve got a repro old tap there - genuine old ones had a grub screw in the side to hold the xhead on :idea: anyway try soaking with limescale dissolver - even make a funnel taped onto the stem and fill that so the ceramic gets a good soak - then try prising it out again

Well it's from a ex-MOD base and the sink was made in Glascow in Feb 1939. I expect the MOD weren't into "Repro" but you never know :)

I'll try the anti-limescale some more. I can't figure out how this thing would stay in, It's ceramic button into brass, so unless there is some sort of rusty steel spring inside (unlikely), I don't knw how it stays on. If it's bonded then there is no way to get to the tap top screw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back