Night storage heater shelf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mother-in-law has Dimplex night storage heaters, and wants to put a shelf above them. I know the new ultra slim heaters have nice metal shelves you can fit to the wall, but her heaters are larger (not the old huge ones but larger than the latest ones). Does anyone know where I can find something suitable?

The other problem is that the walls are plasterboard stud walls, which seem to have hardly any studs! So if there was a heat resistant shelf which would attach directly to the heaters somehow that would be even better!

Any suggestions would be good - thanks.

Sponsored Links
Many years ago, I installed a standard laminated chipboard radiator shelf above my lounge storage radiator, and glued some of the reflective foil with a insulated backing to the underside, to prevent it overheating.

I also positioned the shelf at least 30 cm above the heater, and kept it the same depth as the heater to ensure air flow wasn't restricted. Storage heaters can at their peak output emit air with a higher temperature than a water filled radiator.

Also, it was fitted to plasterboard. Heavy duty plasterboard anchors suitable for shelves are available from all of the DIY sheds. I've even seen them used to secure curtain poles, and small TV's, so a shelf and few ornaments shouldn't cause a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back