Night Storage heater sizing question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small flat which I rent out, and between tenants so looking to refresh it a little whilst its empty.

The existing Night Storage heater in the lounge is old, bulky and really lets the place down as its the first thing you see when you walk in. I have been looking for 2nd hand units locally and just found one advertised but its larger than the existing heater. My current one is about 28" high x 28" wide, and the "new" one is 28" x 40" wide. The seller doesn't have any idea of the kw of the heater, and mine is so old I don't know what rating it is either! Obviously the heat output will be greater, but is it more efficient to have a smaller heater on full, or a larger heater on half?

Would it be overpoweringly hot, or use more power to go up to a larger heater than necessary?

Would anyone know what heat output are just by the dimensions of them?

Any advice appreciated, thanks :)

Sponsored Links
no

impossible from your description.

But what i can say is that I rent out a few properties and would not subject my tennants to second hand, e-bay purchased, dissassembled and reassembled equipment. You are better off purchasing new equipment with guarantees and proffesionally installed taking into account your existing wiring.

Is it Dimplex?

If so, I would say your current one is an XL12, outputting 1.7KW, and the one you are looking at is an XL18, outputting 2.55KW

It wouldn't be overpowering, just set the temperature a bit lower, and ensure the MCB rating is appropriate!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies.

It is a Creda and my existing smaller one is a Dimplex.

As for providing tenants with "shoddy" 2nd hand heating, thanks for the compliment! I do know in my limited experience of storage heaters that they are pretty basic and "agricultural" inside - have had my existing one checked by a leccie and "serviced" to ensure all vents and controls are working, and he said they are all basically the same internals, and a 2nd hand one wouldn't be an issue! I will get it checked over before installation and wired by a pro, so thanks for the advice but implying that I am a cheapskate LL is not warranted!

I used second hand storage heaters in my house, bought from someone who foolishly installed underfloor electric heating.

They are all working fine!!!

I once tried this (allowed to move heaters from a place which was to be refurbished). Was warned that, after having been in use,the elements would be brittle and would not stand the move. They didn't. All but one were open circuit on arrival.

As for providing tenants with "shoddy" 2nd hand heating, thanks for the compliment!
But you are supplying a rented property with a woefully inefficient and overly expensive heating system. I hazard a guess you have your own pay as you go metering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back