Nightmare installing a cooker chimney hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok a bit of background first, I bought my first house last year and decided in the Kitchen I wanted to remove all the tiles, decorate and then re-tile.

I had a handyman (very expensive and very poor quality :evil: ) knock all the tiles off then a new skim of plaster, however, he never put the chimney hood back up before leaving and as i have no idea how it came down I'm struggling to see how it will go back up.

I'm trying to do this job by myself which does seem a bit of a struggle when there is nobody there to hold something in place.

what I have tried to do : there are two parts to the chimney, one that slides in to the other, the first part I fixed flush to the ceiling (before it came crashing down last night) as it has a bracket that fixes it into the wall, the second part i'm assuming slides up under it then the main fan itself hooks into the bracket i have fitted on to the wall then the vent flexi pipe attaches in to the fan.

I suppose my question is how on earth do i hook the fan part whilst simultaneously feeding the power cable through the pre cut hole in the lower chimney section, attaching the flexi pipe and also slide the chimney part in place?

My only reason is i'm missing something major here in how to put it up, so if anyone can give me some advice on how its meant to be done I would be most grateful.

Sponsored Links
Not quite sure why you are having a problem. The bracket needs to be fixed firmly to the wall at the top and the main fan unit also fixed to the wall. Then connect the duct from the fan to the outlet. Assemble the chimney and stand it on the fan unit so the top piece can be slid up and fixed to the top bracket on either side (usually small self-tappers or similar).

The bottom section of the chimney can be slid up to retrieve and locate the power lead if necessary.

Job done.

As kbdiy says,

You need to actually remove that bracket from the curved hood you are holding, and fix that to the wall.

Slide the two pieces in place, ensure the ducting and cable are routed ok not pinched.

Lift up hood sit in place on extractor. Ensure the holes in the side of the hood line up with the bracket and screw them in.

Just a note : looking at the pic, the round ducting looks a bit baggy in places im not sure why, im concerned as it wont promote the best airflow exiting if it's expanding too much between the coils, anyway wack it up and rejoice with a beer.

Cheers lads, I managed to get there in the end, so not a wastes day off work, just need to crack on and finish the tiling now :)

Oh I'm not spiderman BTW, for some reason my pictures come through at the opposite angle to what they are on my phone

Sponsored Links
Dangerous to run a cable thru a metal cut out without cable protection.
Bit of a bodge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back