Nissan Micra Knock from rear

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
The weather's grim and I'm not looking forward to spending time under my daughter's 1999 K11 (1000) to find out what's causing the knock/rattle that comes from the rear as it goes over bumps. Any suggestions that might help locate the problem quicker what be much appreciated :)

She has only just got it, and it has stood (SORN) since Oct '12 when it passed it's MOT :confused:

I may be imagining it, but it seems to only start happening after driving a quarter of a mile or so, then quickly becomes a proper sold knock, almost rattle. I'm thinking a shock or its mount, but then there's a load of bushes down there too.

Are there any techniques for checking bushes? or shocks?

Cheers

John

Sponsored Links
Yes, get underneath and have a look with a torch.

Being a very lightweight car, they aren't particularly prone to suspension joint wear, but things will be getting somewhat rusty down there now.
If you want to check out suspension bushes, then find a lever about 400mm long, and see if there's any obvious play by heaving the joints upwards against the securing bolts.
Also look out for a loose exhaust (back box particularly) and springs that have rusted through.
Of course, the MOT test should have highlighted any real issues!
Sometimes you can feel the top of the shock if you ride in the back on a test drive, and through this you can detect any play.
Also check the tailgate hinges for wear.
John :)

Thanks Burnerman, I thought I'd check the tailgate before climbing underneath. It was the catch loose in the staple. I loosenned the 2 bolts a bit, tapped the staple plate down a couple of mil tightened it and tested it, sorted!

I took a look underneath anyway to check things out. It's in lovely nick, no rust, original shiney Nissan back box. I checked the air filter and oil and it can't have been that long since a service (she got no history with it). I'm impressed with the condition inside and out, but it's only done 38000 miles so I guess it should be good. I think it should do her a while, she was lucky!

Sponsored Links
They are actually a brilliant little car!
Most problems come from the relays alongside and front of the battery, and a rust issue below the radiator.....the radiator itself is prone to leakage at the bottom.
You can check if its had a front end shunt too - the bonnet and under area are finished in matt grey, which actually looks like primer. Any repairs and this will have gone.
John :)

Back