Nissan Micra won't start.

Thanks Wotan,
First thing I checked, having one time reversed into a small mud bank on a country lane.
A plug of clay blocked my exhaust and I was mystified why the car stalled until an observant walker pointed it out to me. :oops:

Sponsored Links
Thanks John,
I'll replace the spark plugs tomorrow and give you an update. Let's hope your patience and support pays off.
Thanks again,
Piper

Hello John,
It would give me great satisfaction to report that the new plugs had sorted the problem out. But, no joy I'm sad to say. I also checked the Filter as you suggested and it looks to be in pristine condition.

I might as well try a tow, because I don't want to lay money out that I don't have until I've attempted every 'No Cost' trial.

I'll be glad to tell you and Wotan of any success that I have.
Thanks for your help and support.
Best o' luck.
Piper

Hello John,
Thought I'd post these images to help with diagnostics, in case I'm not explaining properly.
The 1st image is of the pot. Although the liquid isn't visible it gives a hint of what I mean.

I drew fuel with a straw from the well and this is the colour, also there was an oily residue on the new spark plug.
[/img]

Sponsored Links
CAR GOING :D and it takes some believing how it come about.
Mate of mine called to give me a tow. But before he got the rope out of his car he said, "I been told to try something that is supposed to reset the sensors, give me the key". He got in the car and turned the key FIVE TIMES on and off and on the SIXTH he turned the engine. It coughed and spluttered but started, soon settled down and started running smoothly. It's like one of those; Stranger than fiction tales.

I ran it for a couple of miles and all went well. Brought it home and left it, I'll try it in the morning, hopefully all will be well.

I'm extremely grateful to John for his persistence and support to resolve the problem. I'm not forgetting Wotan who also gets my thanks.
Best o' luck,
Piper

So - after all that it seems to be a case of extreme flooding after all.
I've no idea about your friends trick...this is the sort of thing we do to initialize a new key to the cars ECU, but no matter, its going now.
Post back in the morning with any news...when (not if) the car starts, its obviously wise to keep it going for a minute or so.
Another known issue with the K11 is the throttle body...a firm called BBA reman know all about these - it may be worth a look at their website to see if this is a recognised problem.
These Micra's are one of the best starters in the world - honestly! I've got loads of time for them.
Sincerely
John :)

Hello John,
Tried the car this morning and it started up on the the turn of the key. Purred like a kitten.

Thanks again for your advice. Although you weren't alongside me. It really helps someone like me to be guided by a person who knows what they are talking about.

BTW. I'm still mystified how my pal started it with the key. But the car's running so I'm not going to question it. I'll most probably repeat what he done in the future, to somebody who's hit the same problem as me and it will fail. Nothing surer. :D

Piper

Delighted to hear that!!
I'm going to ask the service manager at my local Nissan dealer about the key trick and hear what he says, just out of curiosity....
Regards
John :)

Ignition on and off six times starts the proceedure to reprogramme the ECU to the key. It wipes the ECU and at this point you have to have all keys ready for the ECU to be reprogrammed to them. You should now go and make sure all your other keys start the car.
To reset the ECU for engine management is another proceedure, which I won't tell you about, just in case.

To reset the ECU for engine management is another proceedure, which I won't tell you about, just in case.

Hello Stivino,
Your statement is a little unsettling for someone like me. Who knows nothing about engine management.

Would you care to expand.

Piper

Resetting the ECU involves connecting "jumpers" across the consult data connector. Don't worry, you didn't do that. But you might have reset the ECU so that it won't talk to the other ignition keys, that's why you need to check them.
As I said, switching the ignition on and off six times puts the Nissan ECU into learn mode for the keys.

Thanks for the info :confused:

Absent mindedness is one of an old man's traits. I only have two keys (A&B) to my car and because I forgot where I had put yesterday's key (A) I had to use the alternative (B) which normally rests on the same key rack, and it started the car.
Maybe I should have used key B when it refused to start. Only kiddin'.

So I'm safe then?

Piper

It makes a refreshing change, when the original poster, gives us the solution to the problem, so often advice can be offered and, no reply is forth coming.

Wotan

Ignition on and off six times starts the proceedure to reprogramme the ECU to the key. It wipes the ECU and at this point you have to have all keys ready for the ECU to be reprogrammed to them. You should now go and make sure all your other keys start the car.
If they don't how do you program for additional keys?

Resetting the ECU involves connecting "jumpers" across the consult data connector. Don't worry, you didn't do that. But you might have reset the ECU so that it won't talk to the other ignition keys, that's why you need to check them.
As I said, switching the ignition on and off six times puts the Nissan ECU into learn mode for the keys.

Could you let me know how to reset the ECU of its data. We recently had the ecu read & reset by a garage but were told nothing could be done to alter the fault until the timing chain was replaced at great cost.

I'd like to reset the cars ecu again without taking it in and paying again so it would be helpful to know how it can be done easily. It is an old car with 100k+ we are working on ourselves to replace spark plugs, etc

I havent tried the key turn yet as it doesnt sound like it would also reset the ecu engine data or help me out in this case with resetting the car setup

I dont believe disconnecting the battery helps with this

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Back