No air vent from freezer to fridge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My refigerator has stopped working.
The freezer is fine and I have defrosted coils.
Fan is working.
All of the websites suggest checking the air flow from the frezer to the fridge but there is no vent connecting the two compartments.
I'm just about to get a new one but feel there must be a simple solution.
How does the refigerator cool down if there is no flow of air from the freezer to the fridge?
Matsui fridge compartment on top of freezer.
TIA

Sponsored Links
Some simply send a proportion of heat from fridge to what it sends from freezer to outside atmosphere, others use a solenoid and the fridge and freezer temperatures are independent although using same motor. I must have the latter as there is a digital display giving freezer and fridge temperature, plus holiday mode where the empty fridge is allowed to raise to 12°C low enough to stop mould forming, but freezer stays at -18°C.

If freezer has a fan, then likely frost free design so cooling coils are behind a barrier, and every so often a heater switches on to melt any frost build up, then returns back to cooling, so would likely use a solenoid, however to replace would likely mean loosing the refrigerant so it would need to be replaced by some one with licence, so looking at £100 plus, so knowing what has failed does not really help, it still means new unit is likely best option, unless you have a maintenance contract.

Thanks for the reply.

I visited another forum and it looks like the compressor pump or pressure is faulty. There is not enough pressure to get the gas into coils behind the refrigerator (underneath the foam insulation presumably). The prognosis is that this will get worse and the freezer will eventually pack up too.

So I've bought a new fridge freezer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back