No boiler in house!! help identify my system!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a new (old) house, and cannot find a boiler!

I have only ever lived in houses with either a conventional boiler and cylinder, or a combi boiler and no cylinder. And as i am definitly not qualified to work out for myself how my system works, i was wondering if there was anyone on here who could help me.

I have a cylinder in an upstairs bedroom with approximately a million pipes running to and from it. Alot go downstairs, and equally alot go up into the attic space. I have been up there and there is a large cold water tank, and possibly a smaller one next to it (although this may be defunct). I have thermostats in a couple of rooms, and central heating radiators in each room (ie not storage heaters, etc). I also have mains gas running into the house.

any ideas? clear as mud?! surely it cant just be an immersion heater heating the water - that'd cost me a fortune!! let me know if you need more details - i want to find out how the water gets heated!

thanks alot,

peterb

Sponsored Links
Pictures would help, but you may have a back boiler, if you can't actually see a 'normal' boiler. Have you got a gas fire in a downstairs room ?

Sounds like a back boiler to me, do you have a fireplace with maybe some boxed in pipes running down the side?

it sounds like the heating system is only a solid fuel fire.
is it an open fire place???
is there any water in the small tank ie ( f+e ) also is there a pipe coming from the f+e
also is there a pipe beside the f+e going vertical and then bending back down into the f+e

Sponsored Links
What did the estate agents details say?
What information is there on the H.I.P.?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back