No cavity insulation. Any comeback from NHBC?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently discovered that I have no cavity insulation, having removed the flue from a gas fire that I removed. Looking into the cavity, there is no insulation. The house was finished in 2001 and I presumed the NHBC warranty/guarantee would have expired. Speaking to a colleague who was in the building trade 'thinks' that if a house is not built to regulation, especially the fabric of the structure, then this is covered for 25 years. Is this correct, do I have a claim?

The house is internal and external brick built with a 50mm cavity. The cavity also has a draft running through it too, so probably worth doing.

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
It's typically a ten year warranty. Why do you think cavity wall insulation should have been fitted?

It's typically a ten year warranty. Why do you think cavity wall insulation should have been fitted?
The identical house opposite has cavity insulation. My colleague 'thinks' my situation is not about warranty, but regulation that has not been applied.

My colleague 'thinks' my situation is not about warranty, but regulation that has not been applied.
No there's nothing like that as far as NHBC cover, or anyone else, goes.

Sponsored Links
I had a Barratts home built in 2001/2002 and it only had a thin foil membrane in the cavity. Extension builders said this was popular at the time and that it was building control approved, although obviously soon after ditched.

Could you have a foil membrane in there that might not be obvious at first sight?

As per your othert thread, what makes you think that your house should have had cavity insulation in the first place?

But as to the question, you are 11 years late for a claim.

As per your othert thread, what makes you think that your house should have had cavity insulation in the first place?

But as to the question, you are 11 years late for a claim.
The identical house opposite has cavity insulation.

The identical house opposite has cavity insulation.
Does that house have the same blockwork, same roof insulation, same heating efficiency etc? Does that house exceed the thermal performance of the late 90's when the design was approved?

Back in the day, the way thermal performance was calculated allowed for differences and compensation in other components, and similar houses did not necessarily need the same insulation.

The issue for you is whether it needs improving now, as there is little you can do about how it was built 21 years ago. Search Limitation Act on Google.

Does that house have the same blockwork, same roof insulation, same heating efficiency etc?
The house is identical, bricks, boiler, windows, layout etc.

I will ask my colleague where he got the idea about the 25 year regulation thing. It does seem rather a long time, it would be great :giggle:, but probably wishful thinking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back