No cold water in bathroom basin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, an elderly lady I know has just phoned me because she can not get any cold water from her basin tap, the toilet is filling normally, she has a cold water tank in the attic, and a hot water cylinder in an airing cupboard.

Her downstairs taps are all fine. Any ideas as to the cause? thanks.
carol

Sponsored Links
Is the tap stuck or very stiff, or is it just turning round and round? Check that before anything else.

Thanks for replying, it is very stiff, and when she turns it on there is a dribble of water :)

Sponsored Links
Depends how dumb. :LOL:
You will need to take the top of the tap off, you will need an adjustable spanner.

You got it blondie! Get a tap reviver kit, it will be cheaper than you hunting around for a valve that fits your existing head. :)

When you get the tap head off. The valve needs to be undone with a wrench or spanner anti clockwise whilst you hold the body of the tap from moving.

You got it blondie! Get a tap reviver kit, it will be cheaper than you hunting around for a valve that fits your existing head. :)
So strange Im just on my way to collect my tap reviver kit
CarolCarol Screwfix product no 20140 £13.97

I had a stiff one (on my basin last year) couldnt get the correct washer.
Now the bath is getting on my nerves, cant be asked to hunt for the correct washer, so change the lot.

How do you explain this one! Here goes - If you use another adjustable wrench (with something soft between the jaws) on the tap spout you put equal pressure on both wrenches. One to hold the tap still, and the other one to undo the tap valve. If the valve is easy to undo then you can probably just hold it by hand.

Does that explain it or have I complicated thing for you? :confused:

How do you explain this one! Here goes - If you use another adjustable wrench (with something soft between the jaws) on the tap spout you put equal pressure on both wrenches. One to hold the tap still, and the other one to undo the tap valve. If the valve is easy to undo then you can probably just hold it by hand.

Does that explain it or have I complicated thing for you? :confused:

That explained it perfectly. :) Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back