No connection to PME cutout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of my lads rang me today to say he had found a Zs of 243.5 on a ring final.

Having ascertained the supply was PME, the earth link was missing and the gas & water pipes were bonded to 7671, I instructed him to leave a 16mm2 earth tail and ring the customer's DNO to get the link installed.

The (annoyed) customer rang him back to say the DNO refused to connect without a cert.

Can they do this? Especially as they should have provided an earth connection in the first place....I mean, PME (or any system, come to that) without earth is an accident waiting to happen.

Edit: I have just phoned them, and they see no reason why it cannot be done, but say that if the earth connection has been tampered with, to reinstate it would be chargeable work.

Sponsored Links
I can just imagine the scene, no mr secure, we can't reconnect your customers earth because the PIR you have issued says the installation is unsatsfactory *shuffles papers* due to a code one on, lack of effective earthing, "but...."

securespark said:
Can they do this? Especially as they should have provided an earth connection in the first place....I mean, PME (or any system, come to that) without earth is an accident waiting to happen.

There used to be a very basic completion certificate that you could fill out for their records. Without it, nothing would happen.

It was a two sided A4 sheet giving details of the supply, load etc stating that you take responsibility for the installation, that it’s installed to current regulations, asks if you require an earth, time and date as to when the installation will be ready for connection and name of firm/person taking responsibility for the above.

If no main earth cable was left for them to connect, then they would just connect the tails. Check polarity, and that there was an earth and then put a big disclaimer sticker on the cu.

They are responsible for the provision of a PME supply if it's available. The consumer/electrician is responsible for the provision of the cables that can utilise it and that the installation will be safe when energised.

Might have changed though. Been a while since I had to ask.

Sponsored Links
Who's that, cozy?

Yes, I have a stock of completion certs for the company in question, but they did not mention filling one out.

Edit: The EDF number can only help with East Anglia...

Sorry I was under the impresssion it was their national call-out no! But a useful no to have for many out there anyway :) :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back