pme with no labels?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just bought a house and noticed that there is an earth block connected
to the incoming dno cable via a little green wire. The earth block is connected to the CU.
But there are no labels to indicate pme.
Seals are also off the cutout.

How can i find out the type of supply?
Npower or UU. One is the supplier and the other is the dno.
Both a disaster when you ring call centre.

Sponsored Links
I was wondering the same thing if your called to a job to do a consumer unit change and there is no seal on DNO fuse and no isolator ... proceed with job ? or ring dno to fit isolator and seal fuse?

United Utilities (if they're your DNO as you say) will be the only ones who can confirm with 100% certainty what type of earthing arrangements your supply has / should have.

Sponsored Links
United Utilities (if they're your DNO as you say) will be the only ones who can confirm with 100% certainty what type of earthing arrangements your supply has / should have.

ok but who do i get in touch with.
In other posts on here it says that the supplier should be the one to contact as they are the ones commercially involved with customer.

Dreading the usual call centre bimbo or your average abdallah from india manning the technical line.

Call them and ask to be put through to the relevant department re supply types.
That's what I've done in the past though I did have to fax them a copy of a map with the property marked on it.

Always contact your supplier!

Not your DNO.

This is for numerous reasons and I can see why sparks would go straight to the DNO sometimes.

As for if it's PME or not?
Not all PME cutout's I work on have a sticker.

In fact I'd say more don't than do.

As John said post a piccy then we can all have an educated guess. :D [/b]

Roo,

From npower's web:

"Your local electricity distribution company is responsible for the power supply in your area. They are responsible for the wires and cables that connect your home or business to the National Grid. The electricity that is supplied through these wires and cables is supplied by npower. In the event of a power cut that affects other houses or business in your area, you should contact your local distribution company. You can find the relevant phone number on the right."

To my mind this means that if say the fuse in the cutout blew, i would have to ring UU.
I have read several posts on here of people that have been fobbed off by their supplier and told to ring dno directly.

Typical.

We get told to tell people one thing and another supplier says something different. :rolleyes:

It's obviously so they don't get calls all the time regarding power cuts.

To be fair to them it does say that in the event of A POWER CUT.

For everything else you should contact them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back