No cpc on feed to my swimming pool pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My main feed to the swimming pool pump has no cpc, It feeds a socket with a timer plugged into it then the pump plugged into that the pump plug has a cpc.
Shall I fit a earth rod and earth original socket or add a RCD socket and use the earth rod for the RCD earth
It is in a enclosed housing ,just need to touch pump when cleaning pool

Thank you

Sponsored Links
My main feed to the swimming pool pump has no cpc, It feeds a socket with a timer plugged into it then the pump plugged into that the pump plug has a cpc.
Shall I fit a earth rod and earth original socket or add a RCD socket and use the earth rod for the RCD earth
It is in a enclosed housing ,just need to touch pump when cleaning pool

Thank you
It all depends on what type of supply you have but sockets should have a CPC. Does it already have RCD protection.

Is this abroad as you have posted in the "outside the UK section"?

HI Winston
Thanks for your reply ,yes in Spain. I have a RCD in main board ,the feed to the pump is about 20 meters, just has line and neutral going into a socket and the pump which is wired with a cpc which is plugged in to that socket.
I am asking as some people have a earth rod fitted and just connected to the pump housing
I don't know which supply I have (into house ) i will look when back.
Thanks again
kevin

I am glad that you have an RCD in the "feed" to the pool.
However, what do you mean by "cpc"

If you have a TN, TN-C or TN-C-S supply network, you should not need any additional Earth Electrode, and additional extraneous Earth electrodes can cause other problems.
(With a TN-C-S supply network, you should already have a "local" Earth electrode - near the Consumer Unit)
According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthing_system "Most modern homes in Europe have a TN-C-S earthing system"

( I invite you to view the "Mike Holt" YouTube video entitled "Grounding - Safety Fundamental" where Grounding/Earthing of TN-C-S systems is discussed.)

While the above Wikipedia site rates the TT system as "Safe and reliable", an extra Earth electrode on the PE conductor of a TT system might be "beneficial", if you do have that "supply" system.

Sponsored Links
Hi FrodoOne
I mean by no cpc is no earth wire in my main feed from house to pump socket just line and neutral . I have to look to see what supply I have, away from home for a few days .
Thanks for your input
Cheers kevin

I mean by no cpc is no earth wire in my main feed from house to pump socket just line and neutral .
It appears that you may have Line and Neutral conductors without a Protective Earth (PE) conductor to your Pool Area Socket-Outlet.
(YIKES !)

The very least that your require is RCD/RCBO protection on any such circuit.
With this (these) installed and working properly, if a Line to "equipment" fault occurs, the "worst" that should happen is that you will (repeat WILL) receive a "short duration" shock when you touch any faulty appliance (in an "Earthed" situation), and such a short duration shock "hopefully" won't kill you.
(Safety Rules Are Written In Blood.)

What should occur is the replacement of the Twin conductor cable concerned with a Twin and Earth conductor cable - with the PE extended back to the Neutral/Earth bar at the Consumer Unit - plus the installation of an appropriate RCD or RCBO (as "Belt and Braces" protection.)
Then, if any such fault occurs, the circuit breaker will be "overloaded" by the current returning to its "source" - which is not the Earth.
This could be a "nuisance" to you but you will not feel anything.

Please, please view the video to which I referred you earlier concerning "Equipment Earthing/Grounding" - as opposed to "System Earthing/Grounding"
The purpose of "Equipment Earthing" is to disconnect the circuit if a fault occurs such that any metal "equipment" is (mis-) connected to supply "Line".
Any such equipment (if not disconnected) will be "Live" with respect to Earth and thus dangerous to any "Life Form" which may come into contact it with it.
An "Earthing Electrode" not directly connected to the return current path of the "Neutral" conductor may not have a low enough resistance to the "source" to provide sufficient "overload" current to operate the circuit breaker concerned and thus avoid danger to any "Life Form" which may come in contact with it and any "Earth" connection at the same time.

The local "Earthing Electrode(s)" is/are there only to provide close-coupled "System Earthing", plus Multiple Earth Neutral" (MEN) connections.

Last edited:
HI FrodoOne
Thanks for all your help in this matter.
I have viewed the video.
We are going to see if we can run a new feed with a earth(cpc) to the pump

Back