Normal S Plan + water heating for swimming pool

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a customer with normal S-plan for the house + additional zone valve, pump and stat to run a swimming pool heat exchanger. All is running off a single oil boiler.

I need to control the swimming pool 'zone' and guess I will need to use relays to control the two pumps and single boiler separately.

The question is does anyone have a wiring diagram for S Plan to include 3 zone vales, 2 pumps and 1 boiler.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would use a pipe thermostat on the pipe to the pool heat exchanger to switch the pool pump on.

The rest is just normal each zone valve will turn the boiler and it's pump on to supply the heat.

I suppose the problem is that demand from any zone will cause the boiler to fire and both pumps to run together.

I think you would need two double throw relays to separate the microswitch feeds to boiler and pump. One relay for the normal two zones plus one for the additional pool zone.

Wire output from pool m/v to pool pump and n/c relay contact.
Boiler to common on same relay.
Connect ouputs from c/h and dhw valves together. use this to energise relay + feed other pump and a connection to n/o contacts on relay.

Sponsored Links
all you need is one relay in parallel with the pools valve actuator to run the secondary pump
wire the system as s-plan plus and connect the relay coil to the call for heat along with the pools zone valve

Matt

Not sure about this, would the boiler call for heat not get back to the primary pump as well? Sorry it's difficult without diagrams, here's a crap drawing...

actually thinking about it I'm not sure if you would need any relays as the pool pump usually runs permanently I will knock up a quick sketch to show how it is done commercially
I cant comment on domestic installations so perhaps the Op could enlighten us on the plumbing arrangements

Matt

Ok a quick sketch this is how it's done commercially

View media item 69427
Here the pool pump runs continuously while the pool is getting used (note the majority of the flow runs through the hex bypass)

there is usually a temp sensor fitted as shown that controls the modulating valve supplying LTHW to the heat exchanger via either a local stand alone controller or BMS

I have shown the valves as diverters as they usually are and for boiler read heat source.

I hadn't spotted this thread - had a conversation via PM.

The sketch I gave him was this one :
Though reading the rest of the thread, I realise I've gone a bit overboard and the pumps can be wired in parallel with the relay coils - thus saving a contact on each relay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back