Swimming pool

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is the right section for this but it seemed to fit in better here.
My inlaws have offered to buy us a swimming pool, they've recently come into some money and know that this is something we've always wanted to have. We're short on space though and have been looking into endless pools swim spas, the smaller pool/spas that have a jet, or swim current in so you can still swim in a small pool.
We'd like to keep costs down by installing it ourselves but obviously have some questions. It would be in a conservatory type building and I'm worried about condensation, would a good cover reduce this?
I'd also like to know how easy they are to keep clean. I know they still need chlorine but do they need as much as a 'normal' swimming pool? And how often do you need to change the water? Filters?
Any advice appreciated, cheers.

Sponsored Links
I can’t answer the filtration questions but I can tell you that if it is heated no cover will ever prevent condensation unless you permanently condition the air inside to remove the moisture in the air ie air conditioning. You can reduce the heat loss from the pool with a cover but you will never prevent it. Or leave the windows open all the time but then the room will just be as cold as outside.

Having a pool in England is pointless.

Everyone I've known with a pool never uses it, sometimes in the summer. I.e last summer a few times.

Even then you have to heat it, which costs a fortune, plus repairs, water treatment etc.

Ive always thought I wanted a pool one day, but now...even if I had the money and the money to run it.. I don't think I would.

Sponsored Links
Not really, a hot tub is undoubtedly a luxury item, you don't get an endless pool to splash about in for two weeks in June, after the initial expense of installing the thing, bearing in mind you can easily spend £20-30 odd a month if you want to swim at your local pool a couple of times a week, add the convenience, the ability to swim as many times a week as you like, whenever you like, the time saved in travelling and its maybe not so daft. Many spend thousands on cars and no one bats an eye ....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back