no display

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
after fine tuning a mates computer he took it home and connected it back up,it now displays a message saying the monitor is out of range
all i did was remove norton using their removal tool and stick on avg free,adaware se,cc cleaner,and did a defrag and general clean up
any ideas why this has happened? its a fairly new compaq system with a 19 inch lg widescreen display
thanks

Sponsored Links
no idea why, but have you tried the settings in control panel?

It usually means that the resolution is not compatible with the monitor. Is there an additional graphic adaptor installed in addition to the onboard one (if present)? The onboard is often disabled when an additional adaptor is installed and he may have plugged the monitor to the wrong one.

Sponsored Links
I get that, in my case it's been caused by the Refresh rate (I think being too high but can't remember).

I assume he can see the screen during POST and then it disappears when Windows starts

He may be able to see it in Safe mode, and can change Refresh rate in that (Display/Settings/monitor)..

Otherwise, when I've had it, you can see the display if you plug an old CRT monitor in for long enough to adjust the settings.

thanks for the replies,i used the recovery feature to get it back as he didnt have anything important on it but all is well now

Back