No earth in single socket - what to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought a socket tester, all fine - apart from one! Single socket, earth wire is physically present. But socket tester says no earth.

I've replaced the socket with a known good - still nothing. The double sockets either side are all good. There's only the three wires in there, so I assume it's a spur.

I was thinking of just capping the wires off and putting a blank plate over - but I gather leaving live wires there isn't allowed. Is that right?

The earth wire is there. If I tug it, it doesn't have much slack. All I can think of is there's a break somewhere down the line. What's the best course of action that doesn't involve ripping up walls?

Sponsored Links
I was thinking of just capping the wires off and putting a blank plate over - but I gather leaving live wires there isn't allowed. Is that right?
No. Provided that the ends of the wires are 'made safe' (e.g. put into a connector block or something like that), that's fine, provided the blank plate is visible.
The earth wire is there. If I tug it, it doesn't have much slack. All I can think of is there's a break somewhere down the line. What's the best course of action that doesn't involve ripping up walls?
I think you probably need an electrician.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Why not find the fault so you can keep the socket?

It's the 7th socket in the room (!) - I figured removing it would be quicker and easier than finding the fault.

Assuming the earth cable is physically broken, I guess my only other option would be rewiring. Which, as I'm moving out soon, I can't really be bothered with.

Can you look in the other nearby sockets to see if they have an extra cable that could be providing this spur?
Either side or perhaps above (upstairs)? what direction is the cable running from the single socket? that may help find the source.

The earth wire may have broken off in the source socket.

To identify the cable you can turn the power off and confirm at the double socket, remove the single spur wires and use a meter and a long bit of wire to confirm continuity
or at worse turn isolate the now removed ends, the power back on and test the single socket for power. (be very careful etc.)
If these wires turn out to not be that single socket have a look around to see what they do supply for future reference.

The fault is most likely the earth wire isn't connected at the other end of the cable. It might be at a nearby socket or a junction box somewhere.

Well, the spur wasn't from the double socket to the left, or to the right.

But from the one in the room upstairs...

All sorted now. Many thanks for the taking the time to answer my questions. Beer o'clock

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back