Socket Tester - Dim Earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a ring main at the top of my house which appears to be showing with a dim earth light for all 3 double sockets (for a standard PAT socket tester). Originally I thought there was no light at all but on closer inspection it's dimly lit.

All other ring mains in the house are showing fully lit earth indicators (implying the tester is working).

Can anyone diagnose what might be happening here? Is it that the circuit is grounded but just not that well? I've inspected the wiring and nothing obvious is amiss although the earth wires weren't insulated (they are now).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Possibly not lit at all - glow coming from one of the other neons. Best bet is socket face of and test L-E N-E N-L for voltage at all 3 sockets - at terminals.

you would then need to know if earth goes back to MET at fuse board. quickest way would be an earth loop tester to provide a Zs reading.

Sponsored Links
I would suspect and earth/cpc fault then, are these three sockets the only ones on this circuit?
I would advise the use of some approved voltage indicator and continuity tester. To confirm continuity of conductors and polarity.
It could well be that the earth/cpc is loose/damaged at the busbar at board.
A Zs test as suggested would also confirm whether you have satisfactory circuit.
But don't rule out faulty socket outlet plates, even though three in a row seems a little coincidental.

ok thanks. So it sounds like there's no way of assessing the issue without further testing.

Thanks

ok thanks. So it sounds like there's no way of assessing the issue without further testing.
Other than investigating for loose or damaged cable, but testing often helps determine this also. Like previous post, it could be at the board rather than at the socket outlets, but it could also be at joint/junction that may have been made in the circuit and don't rule out faulty sockets, that is why it is always worth removing the socket plate to test at the cable terminals.

It would seem you have lost the earth connection but the cheap tester you link to will light all three lights with a very poor earth so other sockets in the house could also be faulty but not bad enough for tester to find. Testers like this one will show a lot more but at £50 likely better off paying an electrician to do the job anyway.

Even the tester shown above is not going to find all faults see
ESC Best Practice Guide No.8 Selection and use of plug-in socket-outlet test devices. it would seem there is some concern about these testers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back