No earth on lighting circuit - new kitchen light required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of replacing my 3 spotlight kitchen ceiling light. There is only a live and neutral wire coming from the ceiling to the existing light. In other rooms there also appears to be just the two wires, apart from the bathroom where my centre ceiling light does have an earth wire.
I have been into a local electrical shop today, on the lookout for a double insulated light, which I believe is my only option (although none of my existing lights in the house are double insulated as far as I know which is worrying!). I was told in the shop that under new regulations I would need to get my whole circuit re-wired. They did not sell any double insulated lighting! Have they said this because they had nothing to sell me, or is that now the case.
As a second point, if I bought a normal 3 or 4 spotlight, could I not just have an earth run from this individual light, earthing it elsewhere?
Any pointers would be very welcome.
Many thanks
Nick

Sponsored Links
What type of cables are they?

Have you got access to them from above (e.g. loft space, under the floorboards on the 1st floor) so that you can get the bigger picture? Often when idiots install lights that don't need an earth they just cut it back.

Have you looked at what's at the switches?

Have you looked at what's at the CU/fuseboard?

I don't know if the shop said what they did because they don't sell any Class II products, or out of ignorance, but they were wrong.

BUT - it's been a long time since lighting circuits were allowed not to have an earth, so if your circuit(s) genuinely don't have one then your wiring is almost certainly past it's Best Before date - you should get it inspected.

If it's just that your lighting circuit has been damaged by an idiot then you should probably get the house inspected anyway, as who knows what other idiotic things he did that are waiting to bite you...

It's quite common for wring installed before the mid 1960's to have twin PVC cable without an earth. originally there would have been plastic pendant fittings installed in every room. Sometimes a separate earth wire would be run to a fluorescent light in the kitchen.

Unfortunately the majority of light fittings today do have metal parts and require an earth to prevent the metal becoming live in the event of a fault.

If the light switches are fitted on metal flush mounting patresses these too should be earthed.

Unfortunately if you don't have an earth in your lighting circuits you need to either have them rewired or revert to plastic fittings (the ceiling rose and pendants are still available)

You say there is an earth wire to the bathroom, is it actually connected to earth? It may be that someone has moved the light at sometime using a cable with an earth in it but it's not connected to anything.

Thank you for the advice.
Does that rule out getting a double insullated metal fitting light?
It does advertise that no earth is required.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back