No gas supply without electricity???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a first time gas supply laid to the property.

Used a Uswitch type site to get a Scottish gas supply but the log in showed it as a switch from British Gas as there was no provision for a new supply.

When I advised them there was no gas meter they told me they will only supply the gas if I also take electricity from them!

I would have thought there may have been regulatory preventions of this requirement.

Has anyone seem evidence of this kind of response?

Or know of any regulation which makes it incorrect?

Tony

Sponsored Links
It seems a few companies are doing it this way now, you can have an electric only plan or gas and electric but not gas on it own. I don't think this will be because you don't have a meter (if that is what you a thinking)

Ps. I left a Scottish utility company last year as I was fed up with the terrible,shoddy service. Obviously you use who you like but just a heads up, there is better smaller English company who are very good and by far outperform the major six BUT even they don't do gas only.

Scottis were very adament that they did not supply gas only when there was no existing meter!

I also by chance had a call from NPower trying to get me to take their gas.

Very good tarrif with no standing charge.

But they hickupped when I said there was no meter. It does have an MPR though which surprised him when there was no meter fitted. But of course the MPR is for the location and not the actual meter!

Said he would call me back after 15 min. But never did!

Hopefully he may call me back tomorrow!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Get a gas meter and fit it yourself...lol
Thought just a regulator was cheaper :) but you'd have to get a gas-safe man to fit it. !!! :(
Don't think the Nat Grid man has to be gas-safe, so might be cheaper :D
Blow the options, just get it done proper, you know it makes sense

JonCa, I dont see what you think that link to Nat Grid does to help. It just confirms that its the suppliers responsibility to supply the meter.

I am getting so fed up that I might almost get a meter and regulator and fit it myself.

Or I could just let Scotish take over the electricity.

But the NPower price is so good I would like to go with them if only they can sort out the meter problem.

Tony

It just confirms that its the suppliers responsibility to supply the meter.
Yes and the MPRN helpline number quoted on that page will give you which carrier to contact for your address to get a meter. I may of course be wrong but that's what I understand.

I am afraid that you are wrong.

The MPN only identified the property and meter position.

I have to find a supplier ( which is proving more difficult than I expected ).

Of course I could buy and fit a meter myself but teh supplier is expected to do that although they always expect to find it already present.

Why would there be a meter if it's a new supply. :rolleyes:

I would guess it's certainly illegal to insist you can't have one without the other.

I am afraid that you are wrong.
Seems I am and I apologise, seems I overlooked a step in the newbuilds I've been involved with, the step being "choice". As the finisher/builder all we wanted was supply so BG used for new, or existing supplier when applicable. Then the buyer/renter could switch if they wished.

Ofgem pages do not seem to give any specific guidance for meter supply but perhaps a call may answer the question of "is your choosen supplier is falling short of their obligations". See http://www.ofgem.gov.uk/CustomPages/Pages/Contactus.aspx

I would guess it's certainly illegal to insist you can't have one without the other.

Thats what I thought too but on investigation it seems they can do pretty much as they like because the only complaint you can make is to the supplier themselves ( which will be a waste of time ) and to Trading Standards who are council funded and will not actually investigate anything unless a lot of people are involved [ and will only investigate in their local area ].

Ofgem will only deal with industry wide issues and not individual consumer issues.

Scottish explanation is that they dont charge for the new meter but other suppliers do so to offset the extra cost they want the electricity as well.

I thought I had solved the problem following an unsolicited call from NPower but they were phased by no meter and were going to call back within 15 min but that was two days ago! A good price too!

Tony

British gas will provide a new meter and tariff for gas only as long as you have an existing MPR to which they can claim as supplier of.

Tony, get BG to fit a meter. It was on the system as their supply wasn't it?
Once you have a meter, you can swap later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back