no heat downstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, we have just paid 1200 for a new glowworm combi boiler and ever since it was fitted (end of nov ) we have not had a drop of heat from our rads downstairs.....they were never boiling to start with but assumed the new boiler would sort that out(We inheritted the clapped out old thing when we bought the house last year ) upstairs is fine (not boiling)but enough to heat the rooms... we have had 2 power flushes,1 at the time of the new boiler going in and he has been back today and spent the day doing another power flush but we still have no heat??? can anyone pls help??? :( the house is freezing downstairs and we live in a rather large,high ceilinged semi!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
1200 for a boiler swap is very cheap, I doubt from your story that your installer knows what he is doing. is he corgi registered?
you can start off with comparing the details filled out on the benchmark sheet with the spec detailed in the boiler manual, do they differ much?
my first guess: not filled out at all.
second, absolutely the right figures compared to the manual, down to 3 places after the dot.

Sponsored Links
Can you tell us how many radiators you have and the exact model of the boiler?

Can you give us the CORGI number of the installer?

When you say he power flushed the system, did he use a noisy electric pump for several hours together with some chemicals? Which chemicals?

It all sounds rather unbelievable but this information would set our minds at rest!

Tony

is he corgi registered?

like that makes a freaking difference :rolleyes:

#if the pratt is incompetent end of

:evil:

does not make much difference; just curious if op should have expected cowboy or competence.
though we know better, I think joe public should be justified in believing corgi registrations would stand for some sort of reliability in terms of quality
if you engage somebody from let's say an eastern direction who is barely understandable, and always happens to forget his card, then you get what you ask for.

if you engage somebody from let's say an eastern direction who is barely understandable, and always happens to forget his card, then you get what you ask for.

Thats a coincidence!

The OP's name seems to originate in Poland!

Whats the chance that the installer also comes from Poland?

Tony

Thanks for the replies. I'l try my best to give all details you've asked for.
The boiler is a glowworm 30c (g.c. no. 47-019-09) corgi no. of installation engineer 300410 and we've got 8 radiators. we've put back one that was removed, had a couple of thermostatic valves replaced/added but lost heat from the 2 downstairs rads that previously had some life in them. The old boiler was an alpha 30p (mixed reviews on this site) not sure what a "benchmark sheet" is, only paperwork is a generic looking gas safety record and a couple of manuals! Big noisy machine was used with a three in one inhibitor chemical. Oh its a local fella too. So have I got magic beans or a problem that can be fixed? Thanks in advance Al.

not sure what a "benchmark sheet" is, only paperwork is a generic looking gas safety record and a couple of manuals!

generic looking gas safety record seems to indicate botch job, as it is totally irrelevant.
benchmark is usually a blue, folded A3 sheet so it effectively becomes a 4 page A4 booklet. sometimes it is included as the last few pages of a manual.
If that is missing, your boiler is technically "At Risk" and should not be used.
Contact installer immediately and get him to come out and supply you with a benchmark/commissioning report.
If he does not come out post haste, contact CORGI and tell them you have safety concerns.
CORGI should then summon the installer to remedy all problems.

CORGI should then summon the installer to remedy all problems.

Corgi won`t do Jack only take your money and mine. Have sat with Corgi inspector and given him addresses, dates and times when illegal installations have been carried out by unqualified plumbers working for this particular firm that I was working for and he informed me that they would no longer be operating the next week. I walked out and guess what happened next?

That`s why Corgi are finished and soon to be no more.``bout time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back