No heating but hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon all,

Following on from a post I made roughly a month ago, which can be found //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/no-heat.429709/ where I wrote about not having heating downstairs but upstairs was fine. The system is one pipe with 19 rads up and down and an Ecomax 635 system boiler.

I have since discovered a method of making the heating work downstairs to 60percent satisfaction.

1. Drain the system completely.
2. Refill the system.
3. Set the programmer to Hot water only.
4.Allow the hot water cylinder to fill.
5. Close all upstairs rads and leave only 2 of the 8 downstairs on.
6.Turn the hot water off and then set the programmer to heating.
7. The 2 rads that are on will heat up wonderfully.
8. Turn on the remainder of downstairs and they will all then be 60%warm rather than stone cold.

That is the best I have been able to do, the main point of interest that may signify the cause is the fact that the heating will only work downstairs after the hot water has been running.

I want to be able to identify the issue 100% so I can go ahead with a fix. I know the first thing I should be doing is a replumb in 22mm with a 2 pipe system however I can't do that for at least 6 - 12months.

So any ideas if we are talking about a definite blockage? I have power flushed, mains flushed the pipework, fitted a magna clean on 28mm pipework! Still the same issue, with the only way to get heating downstairs by letting the boiler fill the hot water cylinder then turn on the heating.

Thank you[/url]

Sponsored Links
I think that you need a heating engineer who understands your system who can tell you what you need to do!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back