No heating help !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just got back from Spain ( great holiday ) only to find boiler expired in my absence . Said boiler Ravenheat 100et 10 yrs. old - never any real problems . Fan running up and air pressure switch making ok & ignitor firing merrily - no flame .Power to gas valve ok & gas valve solenoid coil res. of 115ohms - any opions please

Sponsored Links
Haven't forgotten to turn the gas on when you got back from holiday have you?

Curiously had thought of the gas being off but cooker cooking away quite the thing - thanks for the thought anyway

Sponsored Links
Please tell us Joe, how would air get into this boiler and what pipe are you referring to?

Ta for that 45yearsagasman was wondering about air , pipe .......
anyway ......

Please tell us Joe, how would air get into this boiler and what pipe are you referring to?

What do you think has happened then? You don't get a puncture in your bike tyre when you don't use it - but you can get a slow leak that goes down over weeks.

My guess is that the gas pipe in isn't fully gas tight - and (thanks to Boyles Law) the pipe now contains more air than anything and it won't fire up.

What do you think? 45 years should tell you something eh?

Got loan of manometer - gas to inlet of gas valve no gas at outlet .
Looks like game over for the gas valve ( and my pocket money ! ) -
Thanks to all for opions offered :cry:

won't be gas at oyulet if gav valve isn't opening. If voltage at gas valve (240v)?? and resistance of coil ok, could be jammed armature.

If voltage at gas valve (240v)?? and resistance of coil ok, could be jammed armature.

If there was 240v applied to a coil with a resistance of 115 Ω then there would be a very rapid overheat situation!

The OP has already exceeded what he should have been doing and seriously needs a gas registered engineer!

Pretty unlikely to need a new gas valve though!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back