NO heating or hot water now, boiler overheating immediately

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Greenstar 28he stystem an noticed that pressure was low so we filled it but went a bit far (to3) so bled a radiator to reduce down to 2.5. Now hot water works fine (although display keep syaing temp of 99) but no central heating.

Update - no hot water or heating, reset boiler but as soon as temp goes above 75 which it does pretty much instantly it all cuts out again. Tried turning wateersystem off and leaving ch on but makes no difference.

Sponsored Links
Did you notice the pressure was low when the heating stopped working?
Its possible that the boiler needs re-setting. Look for a switch or button to reset it. Sometimes turning the power off and back on after 30 seconds will cause a reset. Whatever ... There should be some info in your manufacturers instructions.

Edit :-

See section 5.8 page 26 HERE

tried this but not made any difference. think i'll have to get the plumber out. this'll teach me not to mess around with things i know nothing about!

Sponsored Links
latest - got no hot water now. Seems that as soon as boiler kicks the temperature soars to 99 and it cuts out anything past 75. Tried turning off hot water but makes no difference.

Sorry to be thick but what is difference between boiler engineer and plumber?

Well what is it then, boiler overheating think im going to need one or the other.

Or could it be due to system needing bled??

Check the automatic air vent cap is loose
Check the pump's turning.

Air vent cap has little screwed in stopper on top that is half screwed in.
Pump is not on but presume this is becuase the temperature guage still says its over 75 and this is the cut out temp

Sounds like the pump has gone which is why the temp is rising rapidly(water not being pumped away)

Firstly the pressure is to high. This need's to be down to 1-1.5 bar.

Sounds like you have no circulation, as said could be the pump.

Also check that all the valves are open under the boiler for flow and return. Make sure you havent turned the wrong tap closed trying to fill the system up again (seen it done many times).

Once it's cooled down, remove the screw in the middle of the pump. Keep a cloth under it as a bit of water will escape. You should be able to turn the pump with a screwdriver to see if it's jammed or not.

If it spins ok, then turn a hot tap on and watch to see if the pump spins. If it does flick it off and replace pump centre cap/screw.

Is the pump noisy when/if it runs, or does it just hum quietly?

On the new worcesters i've worked with there is a manual air vent/ rubber hose on the top of the heat exchanger. If the pumps OK then maybe you have air stuck in the top of the heat exchanger? Maybe someone else can confirm if this is present on this boiler model?

HTH Sam

THANK YOU!!! I HAD BEEN THE IDIOT AND CLOSED THE FLOW RETURN VALVE. OPENED NOW IT SEEMS TO BOOTED INTO LIFE.

WHAT CAN I SAY - I'M A USELESS WOMAN, OBVIOUSLY TRYING TO DO A MANS JOB!!!!

THANK YOU!!! I HAD BEEN THE IDIOT AND CLOSED THE FLOW RETURN VALVE. OPENED NOW IT SEEMS TO BOOTED INTO LIFE.

WHAT CAN I SAY - I'M A USELESS WOMAN, OBVIOUSLY TRYING TO DO A MANS JOB!!!!

Like i said seen it done many times, once more now :LOL:

Cheers, Sam

I knew that. That would have been next question after finding out that the pump was turning, obviously. :evil:

Don't think I would have thought to ask though :oops: - well done Sam!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back